**** DONE: GB-46 1:48 MiG-3 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For some things Tamiya putty is good, like a spot putty, and it can be thinned with Extra thin or their Lacquer, which is handy when the tube starts to dry out. But it shrinks and I've had no luck using it to fill ejector pin marks as it's softer then the plastic so leaves an imprint after sanding it down.

Slowly installing the innards, a bit of a pain in the keester. The IP is attached via a small notch to the sidewall frame, not very secure. I have to temporarily hold the left sidewall in place, with my third hand put the IP in place and hold it there with my fourth thumb. My fourth hand applies the glue and then fumbles around with tape to hold everything together. And then I notice that I haven't touched up the pedals.

1588696129055.png

Left sidewall and tail wheel to be installed and then the fuselage can be joined together

Thank you. Glued in the tail gear destined to be broken before this is done. I'm going to try a rig something up to prevent this. I'll let this set up and then glue the left sidewall in place. Note the detail that will never be seen and the roughness on the vertical stabilizer

1588717255723.png

Might be worth cutting off the horizontal part, add a small length of tube for the main leg to fit into, and fit the tail wheel after painting the model.

Thought about that but I'm going the easy root and inserting a couple of longish toothpicks into the wheel well and taping them in. Innards are installed.

IMG_5939.JPG

Got a little ahead of myself and installed the left intake before a photo so here's the right side before a photo. The exhausts can be fitted after painting....thank you!!!!!

IMG_5940.JPG

One thing I never noticed with the first build is that these intakes are offset slightly. Wings are almost done, the fit being really good

....and hoping it continues with the inserts. While the fit seems to be better than the first build there will be mud. A little bondage. of note is the fit of the tail wheel. The first build and several other builds needed this to be modified to prevent a gap but twas a good fit here.

IMG_5941.JPG

These will be thinned out shortly

IMG_5943.JPG

Some small tabs have been added to prevent the rear of the wing assembly to seat too far into the fuselage. Added the MGs to the upper cowl. The fit of the cowl piece to the fuselage is great but a bit fiddly. Going back to my first kit, I had to add a spacer behind the IP to make a good fit

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

I'm starting to use my big honkin' Canon more and more now. A slight pain in the keester to set up over how quick I could set up my Canon point and shoot but the close-ups are better which means I'm gonna have to step up my game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back