**** DONE: GB-46 1/72 Mosquito Mk VI - WW2 Eastern Front/ Twin Engine A/C, Transport and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale 1/72
Manufacturer Hasegawa Mosquito Mk VI
Extras: Xtradecal X72195 70th D-Day Anniversary Pt2

title.jpg

Well this is the plan; but the Mossie is the largest model I've built in 30 years and first with 2 props. The Bat is tiny so should be real quick. But what is that lurking in the background? With a center bomb bay, it has to have 2 engines. Could this maniac be trying for a HAT TRICK??? Only time (and wife's patience)((and admin approval)) will tell.

Last edited:
I have 2 choices of markings; TH-M of 418 Sqn or SB-V of 464. The latter aircraft was part of the raid on the Amiens Prison in February 1944 and is the one I pick.
Operation Jericho: Mosquito Raid on Amiens Prison - Warfare History Network
It crashed on 1/18/45.
Accident de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI MM403, 18 Jan 1945
1588809223065.png

A close look at this picture (thanks fubar57) and the decal sheet seems at odds. I'm pretty sure I can see a color change in the open area of the B, and the colors seem reversed. Xtradecal vs EagleCals
Image2.jpg
vs
Annotation 2020-05-06 184741.jpg

I'm going to have to think long and hard on how to mask the stripes before I put on decals but still make it look like the stripes are painted by hand over the markings.

The rest of the sheet X72195 are various D-Day markings for Beaufighter, DC-3, Horsa,Stirling and Mitchell. If anyone is interested, PM me what your choice is and I'll send that part of the remaining decal sheet to you. (USA please) First response will get that particular aircraft. Here is a link to see what is available.
Xtradecal Aircraft decals - X72195 | Hannants

My daughter is staying with me and was interested in why the plane had the stripes. One thing leads to another about markings, and she is blown away that New Zealand aircraft have a kiwi in their roundel.

Last edited:
Could be interesting, a method that I found worked well for doing the stripes is to first mask and paint them on, then after the masks come off, take a flat brush and using your favorite thinned paint, go over the stripes. This will give the brush strokes without needing a 6"layer to get the coverage, at the end of the stripe you can 'feather' the edge, and when doing the black you can create that trade mark uneven edge.

Good choice.
Yes, the profile shown at left has the colours reversed, compared to the photo, which is, of course, correct.
Note that if you are doing the model as used in the Amiens raid, the the AEAF stripes would not be present.

Geo posted while I was typing so pardon any duplication.

Tamiya have very few paints that match the exact colour chips for British aircraft. The exceptions are, fortunately for you, the 3 main camo colours which they produced when they released their 1/32 Spitfire IX. That said, I have the RAF Dark Green (2) as XF-81, not XF-70. XF-70 is a much darker green for the IJN. The Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey numbers are correct.

Now, Tamiya's Sky XF-21 is too dark in my opinion. My formula is more like 3 parts XF-21 mixed with 2 parts white XF-2.

Similarly, the interior green is in the ballpark but also too dark. My preference for that is 1 part XF5 + 3 parts XF21 + 1 part XF65

Great choice Alan! (Not sure about the 'F-19' though... it was made when the F-117 was still 'secret', so is actually nothing like the real aircraft)

Last edited:
Well, I think that I have looked at over 100 sites for this question and what I have come to conclude is there is no "right" answer. Crimea_River Crimea_River I have a paint chart from TamiyaUSA and it's names are not the same as the bottles. XF-70 on the chart is Dark Green 2, on a bottle Dark Green (IJN). Chips of the same Tamiya paint from different sites don't match when compared in Photoshop. Scans of period paint charts don't match. "Offical RAF Colors" don't match. Darn you all, I've put more effort into this paper then anything I did in college. o_O After careful consideration, I'm changing the Dark Green to XF-81. It "looks good", more of a land green and is a nice contrast to Ocean Grey since the aircraft flew over both.

First paint, interior green. The dry fitting of parts of the Hasagawa show that they fit almost as well as the Tamiya, but with a little less detail and ejector pin marks. I used this as a guide to what it should look like.
seats1.jpg
Of course mine will look nothing like this.
seats2.jpg
seats3.jpg

It's hard to see the detail on the upper parts which are the Jasc Bat glider and they are very well made. There are no pin marks and the tool maker really stretched and put seatbelts on the glider seat. I added paper for the Mossie seats. The stick looks like it has a leather boot around the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back