**** DONE: GB-46 1/72 Mosquito Mk VI - WW2 Eastern Front/ Twin Engine A/C, Transport and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 'boot' around the base of the control column is correct Alan. It was a material covering (canvas I think) that reached as far forward as the instrument panel.

Cockpit consists of a flat sheet with a decal for the instrument panel; a reasonable stick and seats and no side wall detail. I added a simple strip on the starboard side and nothing for the throttles
cockpit3.jpg

Seam filling takes a long time for me. I use the red bondo spot putty and the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement to "paint" a thin almost wash of putty into the cracks. I then let it dry at least a day so there isn't any shrinkage later. That takes a couple days to finish. In the mean time, I have this little update on the landing gear.
landinggear1.jpg

landinggear2.jpg

Those tiny blue pins fit into tiny holes, and then a half circle on the back goes against the red bar. It was a delicate job having only 2 hands and wanting at least 5. I see I should have thinned and drilled out those side supports. And added brake lines. And hydraulic lines. And that copper tank....

I'm a little nervous about the invasion stripes. My plan is to paint the greys and green camo; and a clear. Using photoshop, I was able to put the image of the decal on top of the profile and get everything sized correctly. I tried at first to just copy the decals; cut them up and build a mask that way, but it was hard to get all the parts to line up.
DECAL1.jpg
DECAL2.jpg

I have this for both sides; I can print just the decal image layer so I can layout the full size of the markings with the stripes on the kit without touching the actual decal. I plan to mark on tape the stripe location and cut a circle to leave a space for the roundel to fit into; then mask the outside edge of the white. I'll airbrush the white and black and then cut away the part of the serial and SB decal that were under the stripes. The partial decals will butt against the stripes, the roundel fits into the space and a touchup by hand should finish it. I hope this is clear and is this anything like what normal modelers do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back