**** DONE: GB-46 1/72 Mosquito Mk VI - WW2 Eastern Front/ Twin Engine A/C, Transport and Gliders (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. Although the lower half of the code letters are covered by the stripes, it would be fairly simple to brush-paint over the decals for the black and white areas. Seal the decals with a clear coat and let it fully harden for at least 12 hours, then lightly mask the top edge of the stripes and re-paint.

The code letters actually go over what appear to be older, faded stripes if the profile is correct. I would:

1. Mask and paint the darker stripes.
2. Mask the dark stripes, except for the lighter areas, then spray on a clear coat cut with a drop of light grey paint. If brush painting, fade the black with a few drops of whit and apply over the darker black.
3. Apply the decals

EDIT: just went back to the beginning and saw the pictures and it appears the stripes go over the codes as Terry says. Not sure why that profile above is drawn that way. If that's the case, I would just cut the code decals in lengthwise and apply them butted up to the stripes.

Last edited:
I'm putting together the wings and fuselage (of the Mossie and the Bat) and it's been slow because I let the putty dry a day or two before sanding. Also an update on my little pilot.
Pilot1.jpg
Pilot2.jpg

I am really impressed at the detail of this tiny casting from the 90's. I wish I could remember what brand it is. I painted it with Humbrol in the little tins, that are at least 30 years old. The paint is as good as new! You really have to stir it up, but it is smooth to brush and airbrush.

Between 100's of Mossie photos, the one good pic I have, and this profile; I have a reasonable idea of how it might have been painted.
sbv plan2.jpg

paint1.jpg
paint2.jpg

I managed to break off one of the propeller hubs, and under the tail is a tiny vent of some sort about 1mm on a side. Of course you know the end to that story. I really don't want to build models inside a large plastic bag. I had to rearrange some long term storage, and in a box of old model mags, I found these gems. Oh to go back and buy Johan cars for $5.
KotY.jpg

I've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...
paint3.jpg

I'm in final corrections, detail paint, decals and assembly. I won't be so cavalier about multiple builds on the next GB. I have a kit in mind that doesn't fit any upcoming GB so IF I start it, it will be over in the Group Builds - Unofficial thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back