**** DONE: GB-47 1:48 Hawker Typhoon FR IB - WW2 D-Day and After – Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doing a great job there George, I strip my airbrush every time flush out with water first then use IPA cleaning inside and out with my own little cleaning brush thingy....really high tech gizmo....will have to take a pic.....

Clear coated the dust and sprayed thinned Tamiya XF-24 Dark Gray for the exhausts. The clear didn't tone down the area behind the cockpit as much as I expected and my exhaust work always looks better on the mule. I may have this done by Tuesday

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Just an oddity to throw out here. I'm left-handed yet I hold the airbush with my right hand

EDIT: adding to that oddity, the propeller tips aren't yellow.......any more

Last edited:
Doing the sticky-outy bits and found a photo of the stirrup footstep that is coloured brassish and the support a lighter grey than MSG, done. It also showed the underside antenna as being yellow. Was this correct? This isn't the first mentioned photo....copyright thang, but its a photo of the same aircraft

1604890016180.png

Last edited:
Never seen yellow spike antenna but there's lots of things I haven't seen. If that's the RAF Hendon sample then there are a few things not original to it.

Thanks Andy, thought that as well. I'll stick to a grey. You would not believe all the left handed golfers we have here, possibly 35%. When we have our Men's Night "Iron Man" wrap-up, we have 90 three man teams and one of the team is a leftie. Good stuff Wayne. I used a similar thing for cleaning around the slotted nozzle cap. I'm looking for a crown cap replacement at the moment for ease of cleaning

The spike antenna beneath the fuselage is for the I.F.F. and, as far as I know, was pale yellow.
On1950s RAF aircraft, these were normally a "solid" yellow, but in colour footage and stills of, for example, wartime Lancasters, the I.F.F. antenna looks to be a faded or pale yellow.
The boarding "stirrup" step would normally be either bare metal, or painted silver, as on the Hurricane, with the underside of the step itself in MSG.

Thanks for that Terry, changed the stirrup and don't have a pale yellow so left the I.F.F. antenna as grey. Drilled out the navigation light and put in appropriate colors. Added a whip antenna to the spine. The wheel location holes are over sized for the axles so I used CA for attachment. This took some doing as the wheels have flat spots and I needed to make sure everything aligned before the glue set. As mentioned earlier, the clear parts are a tad under-sized so the fit is the best I could. The canopy wouldn't sit flush no matter how much I scraped material off the inside. In the end, I put three small dabs of CA on each side and pressed into place. HOWEVER..........a bit of CA escaped onto my thumb and left about a 2mm² fingerprint on the left side. A coat of Future managed to remove some but not all. I should be able to get the finals up before the bus

Something I forgot to mention, the hole for the pitot tube wasn't added. I checked the instructions to make sure that I hadn't missed the part that said to open a flashed over hole but it wasn't there. Step 7 shows the pitot tube being inserted into a hole. I estimated and drilled in a hole

Last edited:
Sounds good.
For "pale yellow", just add a tiny spot of white to the yellow paint, or, give a thinned coat of yellow over the grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back