**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109G-6 - WW2 Night Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice job Walter. Maybe the black primer could have been your finish coat for the underside?

Yeah but that would be too easy!. There's a 4 stage paint process for the underside planned. Looking forward to trying out some ideas.

Ok painted till my hand cramped, let's call this the undercoat 😃
20210309_152500.jpg

20210309_152452.jpg

I've painted straight black in the past and it how shall I pit it, its static! For me black is the most difficult colour to paint on a well worn Luftwaffe plane. So I feel the need to do this by layers.

I think the end result will be nice and realistic after all that is what I aim to achieve with my modelling. I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts on the next phase.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you about the black. I think your approach is effective and should give an interesting effect. The key will be to apply the black in thin layers.

Top coat painted, I'm going to leave it while I paint the rest of the plane. I don't want to make the mistake of doing too much and loosing all the hard work. What do you guys think? Of course the camera tends to show more contast than the naked eye.

20210310_082315.jpg

20210310_082417.jpg

Impressive- it certainly adds a lot to the shades, and makes it visually interesting. Not an approach I'd have thought about, but it looks "right", although maybe a little too much brownish/rusty still showing through for my taste in the pictures.

I look forward to seeing the next step!

Looks great to me. If you plan on clear coating the model with gloss and/or matte then you may find the effect becomes a bit more muted so I would resist doing much more.

Thanks guys, I normally use blues and greys but this time went with greens, browns and reds. I will probably do a final very light coat of blue/black. My thoughts through this process has been that the plane was painted several times and it's likely been in service a while before being used as a night fighter so I think it's working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back