**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps !
Yes, I'm happy that I've got to this stage, after all the extra work doing bits and pieces. Hoping to get the panel line work and light weathering done later tonight, and maybe the first clear gloss coat.
Andy's right about the years of experience with colouring books - here's one of my efforts from 1995 .................

Thanks very much, Wojtek, Hugh and Wayne.

Still working on some light weathering and minimal panel lines, which should be done very soon. If the paint etc is dry enough, I hope to get the first clear gloss coat on later tonight, and I'll post some pics as soon as I'm able to move the model.
Meanwhile, a friend is cutting the material for the base and wood edge trimming, so I should be able to get that done, and the surface detail added, in plenty of time for delivery of the model on 19th May - fingers crossed !!!
Back soon-ish ............................

Panel lines, light weathering, feint grime and staining done.
I'll let this settle overnight, and then tone-down a few areas, before applying the first gloss clear coat sometime tomorrow. With luck, I should be able to start on the decals on Tuesday. Knowing how thick some Tamiya decals are, I'll probably only use the kit stencils, with the national markings, code letters and serials being from Xtradecal and Fantasy Print shop sheets.

Hi Airframes,

May I recommend that you double check your refs before clearcoating? I've never before seen a Brit-built Mosquito with the upper surface camouflage brought down the sides of nacelle. (That camouflage variation was fairly common on Canadian-built aircraft though.) There's a lot I've never seen before, and your refs might prove me wrong, but if you want to make a change, it's easier to do before the clear coats set in.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana, thanks for the comments, as I know, intended as a precautionary note.
However, as Andy mentioned, those B.XVI's built, and painted, by Percival Aircraft at Luton, although utilising the DTD standard camouflage pattern, were unusual, perhaps unique, in having the upper / lower demarcation different to the "norm", with the fuselage demarcation lower, and the upper surface colour extending down the sides of the nacelles. Note also the slight variations in the application of the actual pattern
The pics below, included in earlier posts in this thread, show this clearly.

No problem Dana.
I've been looking at, and eventually studying, all aspects of the Mosquito since I was a kid, so around 58 years, if I count the years before getting "serious" about it, and it's only now, after researching for this particular aircraft, that I discovered the different camouflage pattern demarcation.
Seems like you can teach an old dog new tricks, after all !!

Thanks Wayne.

Got a couple of coats of Humbrol acrylic Gloss Clear done, and I'll let this harden until tomorrow afternoon, and given that it's glossy enough, I can then start on the decals.
Meanwhile, I'm working on the undercarriage, and need to figure out the best assembly sequence, allowing for the lack of articulation in my knackered hands, as I have to add extra "rods" to the door guards / rams.
From the B.XVI onwards, these were slightly more complex than earlier variants, as shown below. I also need to drill-out the lightening holes in the mudguard mounts, and add brake lines to the main legs.

Pic 1. The extra door guard "rods", as seen on the B.35/TT.35 at Cosford. Note also the lightening holes in the mudguard mounts.
Pic 2. The Tamiya kit parts, being for a B.IV / FB.VI, have the earlier, simplified guards. Extra parts will be added, using either thin brass or copper wire, or stretched sprue.
Pic 3. The kit mudguards, showing the "plain" supports, which need to have the lightening holes drilled out. Sorry about the "camera shake" in this shot - damned hands !

Thanks again to all who have either encouraged, commented or just popped in for a butcher's. and I should have another up-date later tomorrow.

I remember you doing that Andy, and I'd like to use a similar technique.
However, I very much doubt that my hands will allow such accurate work with wire, so I'll be trying to build-up the existing frame, starting sometime tomorrow ( later today ! ).

Thanks Hugh.

The main decals are on, with the upper-wing roundels and the fin flashes from the kit decal sheet, the fuselage roundels from "Xtradecal", code letters from "Fantasy Print Shop", and the serial numbers made up from individual characters from "Tally Ho Decals".
I only had one slight mishap, when a figure "1" in the port side serial number folded and creased when being applied, which was easily replaced with a spare.
I'll let these settle for a few hours, before tackling the 40 or so stencils that need to be added. The pics below show the progress to date, with the decals still settling, and I've noticed that the number "6", and possibly the "T" on the starboard side may need a dose of decal solution, as there is slight silvering showing, mainly on the lower, left side of the "6", but this may well bed down with time.
Back sometime later tonight ( Wednesday ), when I hope to have completed the decals, and possibly got the matt clear coat on.

Users who are viewing this thread