**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.

The tanks have been filed and sanded to shape, and given a coat of matt white enamel to check for pin holes, ridges etc. Holes have also been drilled and countersunk, for the test and drain valves, and the rear mount access points. The valves will be added later, suing plastic rod / stretched sprue. Although not visible here, being "clear", the joint to the wing has been filled with CA, but may need a bead of PVA too.
Once the paint has fully dried, it will be sanded back, and I may do a little more work on the starboard tank, as it's not quite the same exact shape as the port one. As expected, the tanks are far from perfect, but better than the original strange shape of the Airfix parts, and should pass.

Fingers and wrists are sore after that lot, so having a break until tomorrow.

Not much more to show just yet - still sanding the tanks, and it's a bit of a slow job, as my wrists are still tender.
But I hope to complete this part soon, and get to work on the "main" parts of the model, preparing the nose and cockpit for the additions.
Back soon ................

Finished sanding the tanks, which now look more even, and got the wing tips and rad shutters attached. The wings are now done, for now, so ready to start on the fuselage, but I'll do that tomorrow - need to let my hands, fingers and wrists recover.

Pic 1. Tanks sanded, and upper joints to wing engraved. Lighting makes it look a bit harsh, but the joints are actually smooth.
Pic 2. Radiator shutters in place.
Pics 3 and 4. Wing tips in place, but yet to be filled around the joints. Fortunately, Tamiya provide both early and late types, the latter "not for use" on the B.IV, but correct for the B.XVI, with the single nav lamp and shrouded rear I.D. lamp.
Pic 5. Bomb bay hinges removed, to allow the Airfix bulged doors to be fitted.
Pic 6. The port side nose section needs to have these flare racks removed, in order to fit the scratch-built bombsight computer.
Pics 7 and 8. Although the Pilot's Notes for the B.XVI show the trailing aerial winch reel, the aerial was not fitted to the B.XVI. However, it's possible that the cable reel was left in place, so I may leave this, but the external mount for the cable fairlead tube will be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread