**** DONE: GB-51 1/48 FJ-4B Fury - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So my quandary is.................
GB51C-14.jpg

Did the wings in fact have Zero dihedral?
As it sits here, leading edge and wing tip are Nothing out, same-o same-o.
I can find nuthink!
I can Fill the wing gap, keeping the wings as they are.
If I Pull the wings into place I will create 2 degrees, or so, dihedral......
Dang!

Go with 3 and you'll be fine...as per many sources about this bird!;)
View attachment 644266
The drawing above is from Naval Fighters 25 North American FJ-4_4B Fury
I never noticed the 3degrees at the tip!!!!!!!!!
Arrrrrrrrrgh. I do not have that dwg.

Thanks Catch!

Another something I have in question.......
Was the "Red" in the photo of my subject aircraft actually "International Orange"?
Or actually red?
Like the Sea Blue and Orange helicopters around that time up to the mid 60's?
Before they went to white?

Last edited:
Another something I have in question.......
Was the "Red" in the photo of my subject aircraft actually "International Orange"?
Or actually red?
Like the Sea Blue and Orange helicopters around that time up to the mid 60's?
Before they went to white?
af39d04f171d9dfa07d8ff3a7c8ba326-jpg.jpg

IMHO the colour in this particular case is Insignia Red. There were schemes with International Orange FS 12197 as well, but in this particular case (as per the photo I posted earlier) this is red - compare with the a/cs in the same row with tails in overall orange. In the most cases if you see the whole tail painted it's orange, if it's the rudder only, it's red. I believe the one below has the tail in orange.
FJ-3+and+FJ-4+via+Tailhook+Association+117+(3).jpg

Some time ago I wanted to build a Panther (F9F-KD) as a drone controller in the same colours. I came across an official military specification called MIL-C-18263 (AER) from 23.02.1955. Unfortunately I can't find a copy of it but I have written the colours for utility a/cs down.
1. The red is given as "Glossy Insignia Red ANA 509 (FS 11136)".
The yellow is "Orange Yellow ANA 506 (FS 33538).
3. The overall tone is Engine Gray ANA 513 (FS 16081).
4. As per the above specs the wing bands are 3" wide (this could be a typo or my mistake - IMHO they are wider) and Insignia Red.
5. Note: the original document I copied gives the colours in ANA, the FS numbers are from a different source.

Don't forget that the Fluorescent Orange and the International Orange used trough the years varied and there are differences in the appearance between early and late a/cs.
lOrange.thumb.jpg.a9b0594fba4db25b6c5bb0b4f1a46378.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
View attachment 644330
IMHO the colour in this particular case is Insignia Red. There were schemes with International Orange FS 12197 as well, but in this particular case (as per the photo I posted earlier) this is red - compare with the a/cs in the same row with tails in overall orange. In the most cases if you see the whole tail painted it's orange, if it's the rudder only, it's red. I believe the one below has the tail in orange.
View attachment 644331
Some time ago I wanted to build a Panther (F9F-KD) as a drone controller in the same colours. I came across an official military specification called MIL-C-18263 (AER) from 23.02.1955. Unfortunately I can't find a copy of it but I have written the colours for utility a/cs down.
4. As per the above specs the wing bands are 3" wide (this could be a typo or my mistake - IMHO they are wider) and Insignia Red.
5. Note: the original document I copied gives the colours in ANA, the FS numbers are from a different source.

Don't forget that the Fluorescent Orange and the International Orange used trough the years varied and there are differences in the appearance between early and late a/cs.
View attachment 644332
Cheers!
ANA 633 would have been the color on HS-4 helicopters in '63, SH-34's and SH-3A's when I was there.

Also I have discovered the wings are so rigid I cannot do anything to adjust the dihedral, just has to stay the way it is...
If someone wanted to go to those lengths it would be a tough chore.
The wheel well when added to the lower portion of the wing makes everything rigid. I haven't tried to resolve that in retrospect. I think you would have to set-up a jig for the bottom section at 3degrees each side, then fit the wheel wells in adding the top sections at glue-up. I would get another kit if it weren't for the fact they are about 50 bucks AU$.

MrColor produces #327/11136, #339/16081 so I will go with these in lacquer and get crackin.
Tamiya Camel Yellow looks like a best match, lacquer as well!

Yous guys are topps.

Cheers!
As in note 4, 3" at 1/48th scale would be a stripe 1/16" wide. Even by the view above the stripe is just visible and is apparent
to be say, 21mm on the diagonal. laid out on the wing is actually 14mm from the fence, and 14mm wide. Full size 672mm or
26-1/2", maybe 24" would be more like it! I realize this is a Rendering, someones interpretation, But! I think it is a bit more likely.
So I will go with 24"/13mm stripe.
I am going with Black as the NAVY markings are black in the photo of the FJ-4 I am replicating!
I'll be starting the painting with the wings, silver for the leading edge and mask, black for the wingwalks each side and mask,
red for the stripe and mask, then yellow to finish. Then about the same for the fuselage when I button that up. Got a few more
things to do with the cockpit. Decals on order!
Simple build surprise surprise.

GB51C-15.jpg

detail from part of a photo from the internet.

As in note 4, 3" at 1/48th scale would be a stripe 1/16" wide. Even by the view above the stripe is just visible and is apparent
to be say, 21mm on the diagonal. laid out on the wing is actually 14mm from the fence, and 14mm wide. Full size 672mm or
26-1/2", maybe 24" would be more like it! I realize this is a Rendering, someones interpretation, But! I think it is a bit more likely.
So I will go with 24"/13mm stripe.
Bill, I was thinking lately could it be 3' rather than 3" in my notes. I checked all my photos of Panthers with the utility camouflage and this is the only one showing the airplanes from above - the bands look pretty wide to me:
XZFI6Al.jpg

I checked all the books I have, dealing with the NAVY camouflage and markings and I FOUND IT. The full description (I've copied it - see below) of the utility a/cs colours as per MIL-C-18263 (AER) is in US Navy & USMC Aircraft Color Guide Vol.3.1950-1959. The bands are 3' wide and the exact location as per wing size is defined as well. Enjoy!
qIzrC33.jpg

Cheers!
P.S. Bill, I did check another photo, this time of a of a Fury, showing the bands from below:
Mu02e33.jpg

Note the position of the band compared to the flaps. Using a scaled drawing (as posted earlier, the one with the dihedral) I added a 3' band in the same location - I believe it matches the photo exactly. I'm adding the drawings as a pdf-file below. It's in scale 1/48 (or in 1/4 scale imperial) so you can measure from it if needed.
Cheers!

Attachments

• FJF-4 scheme-details.pdf
    312 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Bill, I was thinking lately could it be 3' rather than 3" in my notes. I checked all my photos of Panthers with the utility camouflage and this is the only one showing the airplanes from above - the bands look pretty wide to me:
View attachment 644555
I checked all the books I have, dealing with the NAVY camouflage and markings and I FOUND IT. The full description (I've copied it - see below) of the utility a/cs colours as per MIL-C-18263 (AER) is in US Navy & USMC Aircraft Color Guide Vol.3.1950-1959. The bands are 3' wide and the exact location as per wing size is defined as well. Enjoy!
View attachment 644556
Cheers!
P.S. Bill, I did check another photo of a Fury this time, showing the bands from below:
View attachment 644583
Note the position of the band compared to the flaps. Using a scaled drawing (as posted earlier, the one with the dihedral) I added a 3' band in the same location - I believe it matches the photo exactly. I'm adding the drawings as a pdf-file below. It's in scale 1/48 (not in 1/4 scale!) so you can measure from it if needed.
Cheers!
F'n beauty mate......................................
This Forum is a Super Power in itself because of the members!!!
See my next post, am starting painting and You have saved the day.
Tell me the name of the Pub you frequent and I'll send something for a Tab........
Can't thank you, or anyone else who has saved me from the potholes encountered
because of my limited knowledge!!!!!!

Well, until Catch, Da man of post #34 above, saved me from a pothole.
I am now armed with good information as to placement and size of my wing stripes!
So my start.
White primer, then silver for the leading edge, mask the silver, spray black for the wing walks,
I will mask those, either spray yellow and cover the wing and paint red, or visa versa!
Wings done then the fuselage.....
GB51C-16.jpg
GB51C-17.jpg

So here is the proof in the pudding based on the pdf from Catch up there.
So the kit wing is 110mm horiz.
The dwg scales 32mm from the fuselage.
The stripe scales 20mm wide on the dwg.
So to get inches... 20mm wide X 25.4 (conversion mm to Inch) = .787" X 48th scale = 37" actual width
by the dwg..
Close enough to the 3' or 36"
so doing it backwards..... 36"/48th scale=.15" X 25.4 = 19mm@1/48th scale.
Done
GB51C-18.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back