**** DONE: GB-51 1:48 Grunau Baby IIb - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainly28s

Senior Airman
Jun 19, 2015
South-East UK
mainly28s.com
User Name: Mainly28s
Name: Olaf
Category: Novice or beginner (I cite my reduced motor function from a stroke and now eye problems- I may upgrade to intermediate at some point: whatever the esteemed members of the judging panel thing is appropriate, based on what and how I show it here.)
Kit: Fly Models Grunau Baby IIb
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: Assorted decals from the spares box to make up the registration number on the illustration, as I will be doing a plain doped fabric version (I don't have an airbrush, and I can't see myself hand-painting that Wellenmuster)
PXL_20210831_080310639.jpg
YLF48030.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting choice
Almost every Luftwaffe pilot who got wings before 1939 flew one of these at least once. It might not be the most exciting, but it's definitely one of the most important trainers they had!
I know I can't do brilliant paint-jobs, but at least I'll have one in my collection of planes Hans-Werner Lerche flew, even if I can't ensure it has markings of one he flew.

In the last while I managed to read a couple of autobiographies, and the Grunau Baby was mentioned in there, so I definitely picked a winner.

On the modelling front, I've managed to finish the bulk of the assembly. The only think I haven't done yet is the windscreen, which I'll be leaving until the paint-job is completed.

Next step- undercoat and actual paint- I have a nice Elfenbein that should look quite decent as doped fabric.

I may actually finish this one before the deadline.
PXL_20210915_150842194.jpg

As an aside, the reason for my lack of progress is a slew of bad news. Besides a long-standing degenerative medical condition that's gotten worse, my eyesight has deteriorated somewhat and required new glasses, and I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Today's assembly is the first real bit of modelling I've done since I started this. I'll be ploughing along, slowly. I must admit, I'm glad I picked a simple one!

Yeah, it's a pain (pun intended), but I've been dealing with pain for about 12 years now, the last five chronic, and I didn't need more! I guess now I'll have to build more models to distract myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back