**** DONE: GB-51 1/48 Heinkel He162A-2 Salamander - No Propellers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again. This red gizmo was also missing in the kit: Untitled. It's a visual indicator that the nose gear is down and locked and given that it's quite noticeable, I had to add it. Drill a hole, insert plastic rod, finagle a piece of stretched sprue on and paint. Easy peasy. The pitot tube is from the kit.

21112402.jpg

The model is essentially complete now and I could post the finished pics but I'm going to move on with the open engine cowl now. I've given the cowls a shot of aluminum and a wash and stuck them onto the support and here's how it goes together. Kinda nifty on Tamiya's part. The attachment points are not realistic as the cowls are attached with a long piano hinge in reality but there's not much I can do about that.

21112401.jpg

And now the engine is pressed into place over the mounting pins. No glue is to be used here as everything is held by friction using vinyl inserts inside the engine that slip over the pins. I worked on the engine some time ago and am part way through adding all the plumbing.

21112403.jpg

Next on the agenda is to finish the plumbing and add some detail to the cowls. Thanks again for your interest.

Nice built, Andy, with the colors and the shading it would be a acctrative model. But why the aggresive Tamiya if you can do it with oilpaint? It works much nicer, you can coorrected as you will and it can be diluted on the spot, by using a clean ..........shit, what's the english word for "penseeltje"? Ahh "brush"

Thanks everyone.

Bert, the Tamiya wash was something I bought a couple of years ago and it's in such a large bottle that it will last a long time and I hate throwing things out. Yes it's aggressive but so far it's been manageable, just. I have found that, of all the washes I've used so far, and yes, I've used thinned oils, nothing compares with the Tamiya stuff for how well it runs along panel lines, ribs, and rivets but I also don't like how it attacks the gloss coats I use if left on too long. As I said, it's good if I'm careful but there may come a day when I screw up.

Thank-you gentlemen. Almost done.

The plumbing and wiring in the engine is complete as far as I'm concerned. If I were keener, I'd add more of the smaller stuff but I'm going to stop here. Again, the engine and cowls are removable.

21120101.jpg
21120102.jpg

On the cowls, the slots for the latches have been cut into the starboard cowl and some basic latches were added to the port side. These are intended to be displayed in a haphazard fashion as they were hinged and floppy. One has already busted off. Also, it's hard to see but I ran a wire from the D/F loop mount along the cowl rib and into the bowels of the machine. The D/F loop itself still needs to be added and those ugly hinges will need to be painted. Note the hand painted serial number for the engine representing, well, the hand painted ones painted on the real thing. BMW 003 Turbojet Engine | National Air and Space Museum

21120103.jpg
21120104.jpg

Next up should be the DONE pics when I get there. Thanks again for checking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back