**** DONE: GB-55 1/48 A-20B Havoc - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys appreciate the good (or not so good, if needed) words. The cowlings from the kit depict a set of bowed out sections (look like exhaust vents on a B-25 ) but are part of the cowl flaps. I went through my books and could only find them in "The Douglas A-20 Havoc" by William Wolf, Page 319 and 320 marked a movable flap.

Anyway you can see they are howled out, The kit has them solid so I marked a pilot dint with a scribe and used a small drill bit to tap a hole and then used a three side micro file to clean it out.

All righty now, Time for an update on the progress......
Under the ever watchful eye of my master.

I had to add the lower section of the main gear before I could mount the gear /engine covers. This was something I'm quite concerned about!
With the weight I have in here and the gear (mains) ate a three piece setup with the bottom section made up of two pieces attached to the wing and then to each other in a bipod, the last (main strut) will attach to the bipod and not anchor to the wing. I guess time will tell but it looks like a accident waiting to happen.

Next I mounted the gear housing/ engine mount, not bad but a little bit of fit issue.

I used a bit of Evergreen to fill the gap on the back.

After getting thing cleaned up and re shot (paint) I'll be trying out this camouflage putty.

And all is well with my world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well as noted in the last update I had a couple of issues. The Starboard engine above wing was sunken in.

I finished the gap filling of the nacelles and traced a template for a cutout with tracing paper. mated that to thin cardstock and cut out my filler. Glued in place and begain the SANDING FROM HE DOUBLE HOCKY STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!

After the sanding, well you know, sanding and find the gouges and whatnot.

RE SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm ok, really I am.
Putty and try, try again!

Now to find the right sand.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread