**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D "Bubbletop" - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,

Fuselage closed
DSCN6604.JPG
:)

There would have to be at least one seam somewhere. That said, given that the drawings appear to be identical I wonder if the second one has some kind of artifact on it that looks like a seam.

There would have to be at least one seam somewhere. That said, given that the drawings appear to be identical I wonder if the second one has some kind of artifact on it that looks like a seam.
Yes Andy, there is a structure line between the the bubble canopy and the tail on the second drawing. For me, like you, I think there would be have to be one somewhere... I found the 2 versions in my docs, drawings with this seam and drawings without it... :dontknow:

I have checked on a couple of pics with P-47D at the assembling lines. And there is no trace of the panel line. It looks like the first diagram is correct. The P-47D fuselage consited of two halves but split into the top and bottom halves. As a result the assembling together wasn't run at the vertical plane but the horizontal one (on the sides) . The structure of the top half had longerons at the top that seems to be covered with one long sheet metal riveted to them smoothly or ( what is likely either) three strips of sheet metal like in the diagram below. This way would be quite logical and fitting the fuselage structure there. Also it would be easier for keeping the fuselage curvature with its skinning/riveting. But none of the images reveals that way.

0004-wt-20-207182-jpg.jpg

the source: P-47 - Technical drawings

p47d-profile.jpg

the source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back