**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 USAAF Spitfire Mk.Vb - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are too kind. I would accept them with open arms and a bow in reverence!

Hi Bill - late to the party on the version question. A bit more confirmation for you.

Just checked my copy of "Spitfire - The History (Morgan & Shacklady)" and this source definitely denotes ER570 as a VB with a Merlin 46. Weirdly it makes no mention of it being a "trop" version, but it does show its history including NWA (North West Africa) with the USAAF in mid 1943. Perhaps it was converted to tropical in the field upon movement to NWA? Couldn't see any other photos on a quick flick through the book.

I do know how to pickem!!!!!!

The production listings wouldn't necessarily show an airframe being a "Trop" version. A "batch" would roll off the line and then be sent to an MU for any up-dates / mods etc, before being allocated to a unit.
Fitting of equipment required for a specific theatre would be done at a local MU, either in the UK or in theatre, therefore the trop filter and any other mods would be done once the aircraft arrived at the relevant MU.
It's also possible that some aircraft were already modified and in service with, or allocated to, the RAF, but transferred to the USAAF.

Users who are viewing this thread