**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 F6F-5N Nightfighter - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wings on - ready to fly.

Actually this post is to ask about the wing(s) root(s) to fuselage gap. Not familiar with US craft or build kits; is it common, on this particular model (F6F-5N), to have a gap all around? Looking at others builds it 'appears' that the gap is left alone, but not really clear if filled or not?

wings on.jpg

Filling then. But have to wonder on the Eduard design; having the wings fit into a pocket instead of attempting a flush fit? It is what it is. Plenty of putty. I think I'll use the Vallejo on this one. Easy to clean up unwanted fills (panel lines) with water. Probably will take a couple of passes (shrinkage), but it is the easier of the choices that I have. Not being an edge glue joint the fill area should be stable enough?

Actually there was a riveted matal strip shaped into "L". The wing leading edge at the wing root wasn't of the fairing only.

View attachment 721625

View attachment 721626

View attachment 721627

It appears, looking at the Eduard molded wings, top sides, and the fuselage in that area, that they are attempting to mimic that 'L' piece with the raised areas. The fit to the fuselage in these two top main win areas is actually fairly tight. Only one wing has a gap on the underside that possibly needs filling. No 'L' detail molded in though.

It's the tail wings that do not have this 'L' feature it seems, although fitted into pockets as well, there are some obvious gaps back there. Easy to fill. But again, Eduard, why mount like this if not wanting to create this type of detail?

Wings on - ready to fly.

Actually this post is to ask about the wing(s) root(s) to fuselage gap. Not familiar with US craft or build kits; is it common, on this particular model (F6F-5N), to have a gap all around? Looking at others builds it 'appears' that the gap is left alone, but not really clear if filled or not?

View attachment 721609
You shouldn't have a gap between the fuselage and the wings, it makes the pilot nervous, and they are already there anyway.

It appears, looking at the Eduard molded wings, top sides, and the fuselage in that area, that they are attempting to mimic that 'L' piece with the raised areas. The fit to the fuselage in these two top main win areas is actually fairly tight. Only one wing has a gap on the underside that possibly needs filling. No 'L' detail molded in though.

It's the tail wings that do not have this 'L' feature it seems, although fitted into pockets as well, there are some obvious gaps back there. Easy to fill. But again, Eduard, why mount like this if not wanting to create this type of detail?

I have seen a couple of the Eduard Hellcats assembled and the fitting there is really fine. I would say it is very tight. Some time ago I was talked to my mate here who assembled the kit and he said no gap there. So either you didn't fit the wing root to the slot or you assembled something wrong. The kind of joint has been prepared for the glues that migrate along the thin gap. For instance the thin cyanoacrylate adhesive ( eg. Super glue ) or Mr.Hobby MC-130 Mr. Cement Limone etc....

I have seen a couple of the Eduard Hellcats assembled and the fitting there is really fine. I would say it is very tight. Some time ago I was talked to my mate here who assembled the kit and he said no gap there. So either you didn't fit the wing root to the slot or you assembled something wrong. The kind of joint has been prepared for the glues that migrate along the thin gap. For instance the thin cyanoacrylate adhesive ( eg. Super glue ) or Mr.Hobby MC-130 Mr. Cement Limone etc....

I'll not argue with having done something wrong, but it sure wasn't, isn't, obvious. Won't take much to fill the gaps on the tail wing roots, just wanted to be sure I wasn't detailing something that was not authentic, or close to it. The interesting part is the leading main wing edges have gaps; looks like actual production (photos) has the fuselage skin draping up to but not touching, in these areas? Just the 'L' pieces on the longer runs are gap less.

gaps in photo.JPG

Thanks. Tomorrow, after the glues have cured better I'll break out the putty.

Last edited:
IIRC I had a gap there too on one or both of my Eduard cats. Away from my files right now but I might have squeezed some Squadron putty in and removed excess with acetone to close them up. "Gaps" can be subjective with one man seeing a decent fit and another seeing a canyon.

I agree with Don's opinion. The problem with fitting really may not to be the assembler's "fault". Also it could be caused by the time and temperature of cooling of the plastic what might affect the contractibility of the polystyrene for instance. Anyway some of a thin cyanoacrylate adhesive migrating along the gap should strengthen the joint and get filled the gap there.

You may have not done anything wrong and you got some spacing between the wing and fuselage. It happens sometimes that way, but carefully dry fitting and adjusting is always prudent! Even if I don't always do it myself 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Dry fitting I did. Fitting being a loose term here. The tail wings 'rattled' around in the pockets from the get go. Both sides, so I assumed that's how they were to mount. I would not believe plastic shrinkage would be this severe, both sides. Anyway, filler will be fine and not that much to make it a noticeable correction. Just again checking to be sure that authenticity was not being compromised.

I agree with Don's opinion. The problem with fitting really may not to be the assembler's "fault". Also it could be caused by the time and temperature of cooling of the plastic what might affect the contractibility of the polystyrene for instance. Anyway some of a thin cyanoacrylate adhesive migrating along the gap should strengthen the joint and get filled the gap there.
Thanks. The mountings are very strong; large flat areas on the fuselage mating with large flat areas on the wing roots. Not tabs and slots, just flat mash them together gluing.

ralph, in these cases I put vallejo plastic putty in the hole, before it dries with a modeling scraper I remove the excess and it continues to dry in a little less than 1 minute and it remains a silo without sanding or anything,
70-401-masilla-plastica-vallejo-20-ml-.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back