**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 F6F-5N Nightfighter - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph excuse the intrusion but for the dark sea blue vallejo it has as references in model color the number 70898, air model 71087, tamiya is the xf 17, or the real color is the rc 258, they all coincide with the fs15042, in the convair r3y 2 I did in the forum the color dark is blue I did not use it because of the color scaling issue and as a base I gave the fs14040 and to give depth to the color I gave it the fs14044 all are colors that gunze has

Ralph excuse the intrusion but for the dark sea blue vallejo it has as references in model color the number 70898, air model 71087, tamiya is the xf 17, or the real color is the rc 258, they all coincide with the fs15042, in the convair r3y 2 I did in the forum the color dark is blue I did not use it because of the color scaling issue and as a base I gave the fs14040 and to give depth to the color I gave it the fs14044 all are colors that gunze has
My problem is I have been building to many Luftwaffe and British models of late and have inventoried my paint to accomidate. This switch to US is a bit of a challange to match with the colors I have. I really don't have any issues adding some additional to my collection, just have to make some room. I have been bitten by the 'need to try and build and finish as close as possible' bug. These GBs have a way of pulling one in to do that. Actually more fun this way, I get to justify ordering additional kits; how can one JUST order paint and justify the postage? I just hope all of these jars and bottles are sealing well enough that in a year or two I don't have a solid lump!

Yeah, that brings back some memories. I had an old tin of Humbrol that I wanted to use. Guess it didn't go so well.

IMHO there's no need to delay the start of this build because you don't have the final paint. You need to get the whole thing togther first before the camo colour anyway!
Correct on the external. But the pit is, usually, the first to be assembled and painted. But, assembly is usually performed and then painted anyway. I suppose I could set it aside and start the 'big parts' cleanup. I did place an order a few moments ago for the proper color paints, along with a few others, and yes a Mk Ia and a Mk IX (USSR version) were added to the order.

While waiting for the paints to arrive I'm doing some clean up on the plastic and some planning. Eduard offers two instrument panel options; one is Plain Jane and the other has molded in dial details. I usually try and apply decals to the more detailed moldings, giving some depth. However, the decals and the molded in dials don't quite match. Count nor alignment? I can either just use the plain, flat, panel and go with that, or cut the dial faces out of the decal sheet individually and do single paste on's? The problem with this is, in many cases, the decal dials offered do not match the sizes of the molded rings. I tried to find some guidance on the net. Looking at the images that were available (well all that I found), there doesn't seem to be much consistency there either. Not looking for assistance, just bitchin. Would have expected better from Eduard.

The Plain Jane piece had some serious mold sink marks in the two lower panel extensions. Need to do another coat to level.

Also, the side instrument panels. I suppose I need to sand the decal mismatching features off the top surface as well.

cockpit decal BW2.jpg

Andy - thought it was going to be easy picking up the correct colors, using Mr Color Aquious acrylic, but no local shops carry. So I can either substitute for something else or pay more for shipping than the paint is! What brand and colors did you use for the blue and interior? Maybe you mixed? I have a ton of Tamiya and Vallejo to grab and mix if necessary.
Pretty sure Lionhart will have the correct colors and he will post it to you if not up to the drive.
The F6F-3'w were in the tree tone blue, intermediate blue and white the -5's were overall navy blue...

Pretty sure Lionhart will have the correct colors and he will post it to you if not up to the drive.
The F6F-3'w were in the tree tone blue, intermediate blue and white the -5's were overall navy blue...
Thanks Don. But the correct colors are coming, just slowly. Somewhat my fault though, not looking at the paint specs when I ordered the kit and order the paint at the same time (actually thought my Tamiya/Vallejo stash would work-wrong!). Live and learn. But on the upside, as posted somewhere earlier, I did get to add some more kits to the required paint order, maximizing the shipping costs and all that.

Thanks Don. But the correct colors are coming, just slowly. Somewhat my fault though, not looking at the paint specs when I ordered the kit and order the paint at the same time (actually thought my Tamiya/Vallejo stash would work-wrong!). Live and learn. But on the upside, as posted somewhere earlier, I did get to add some more kits to the required paint order, maximizing the shipping costs and all that.
So proud of you young Luke Skywalker

A hobby store have you soon, young master Luke!!!!

The plin Jane panel us meant for the PE panels offered with the Profipack kits. Go with cutting out the individual dials. A PITA but worth the work.

The plin Jane panel us meant for the PE panels offered with the Profipack kits. Go with cutting out the individual dials. A PITA but worth the work.
That's where I was going, but only hesitant in that the dial sizes of the decal sheets are of different sizes than the molded ones. Probably wont make much difference after its buried in the pit, but I did try and find something on the net that looked close the molded part. No luck. Did not try 'really' that hard, but would have thought something close would have appeared? Seems that there were a lot of variations in the actual panels? Would that have not confused a pilot switching plane to plane?

When something is changed on a plane, what they normally do is give the pilot a refresher and tell him where the modifications are, with that they think it is enough, but there was a plane that modified the flap controls and this procedure was carried out, ending with the plane crash due to the habit of the pilot that this command was not the inversion of thrust but rather the flaps....

Regarding the IP, you have to look at that some are larger because they have an outer frame, so it may be that you see them larger. The central circle is the dial of the instrument and it has another outer one that is the circle of the outer frame, especially where the screws were. Fixing.
I for these cases and with the minimum knowledge that I have to handle the gimp I do is with an image of the ip I reproduce it in tracing for the measurements of my ip.

The SIZE of the cockpit detail in the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit and the Lack of detail in the Eduard kit of the F6F-3 are rather shocking.
Since it's the only area we get to do any detailing on aircraft it's what prompted me to build my own interior sharing parts.
But then I found and excellent 1/24th scale example from which to glean ideas in layout by Rodney Williams in Large Scale Planes.
Very little in "back of cockpit area" photos i=on the web.
Look forward to your dash 5 example.

The SIZE of the cockpit detail in the Hobby Boss 1/48th kit and the Lack of detail in the Eduard kit of the F6F-3 are rather shocking.
Since it's the only area we get to do any detailing on aircraft it's what prompted me to build my own interior sharing parts.
But then I found and excellent 1/24th scale example from which to glean ideas in layout by Rodney Williams in Large Scale Planes.
Very little in "back of cockpit area" photos i=on the web.
Look forward to your dash 5 example.
Like this
IMG_2023-4-23-104058.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back