**** DONE: GB-60 1/72 B-17C Flying Fortress – Zombie Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Academy Capt. Colin Kelly's B-17C/D
Scale: 1/72nd
Accessories: True Details Resin wheels. Crystal Clear canopies

I don't know how long this one has been on the naughty shelf, but it was a while before I joined the forum and that was over 13 years ago.

I started it right after I had finished 2 other NMF builds with extensive masking and about halfway through masking the fuselage became burned out and put it on the shelf. Hopefully this time I will be able to get through all the masking and complete it.

It will be built as the B-17C flown by Capt. Colin Kelly.

On Dec 10, 1941, Kelly's aircraft attacked a Japanese minesweeper off the Philippine cost and while returning to Clark Field was attacked by a flight of Japanese fighters. Kelly remained at the controls allowing his crew bail out before the aircraft crashed. Kelly was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Here's the model as it stands today along with what's left in the box along with the box cover art.

PB184051.JPG
PB184052.JPG
PB184053.JPG

Last edited:
I built that same model years ago. I put a heck of a lot of effort into it. I even built, painted and installed the innards. And sticky out bits too! Not up to the level of builds posted here but I was quite proud of it. It was destroyed by a thoughtless jerk during a move.
I am really looking forward to this build.

I've been working on masking the last couple of days and thought I had finished last night, but looking at these pictures I see I missed one area on the right wing. I plan to spray on the bright silver today and transfer the wing masks over to the 307.
I'm kind of under the gun here because I will be having surgery on my right hand Monday morning and will be out of commission for at least a week, so I'm trying to get as much done as I can before.

20231202_214536.jpg
20231202_214546.jpg

Thanks guys, it's nothing too serious, just annoying. I'm thinking the worst part will be what I'm going through right now, 48 hours of nothing to eat but clear liquids. I'd kill right now for a cheeseburger. My right hand will be wrapped up like a mummy until Friday, then another week to get the stiches out. I hope to be able to use it again by the weekend.

Well, here it is after the bright silver.

20231203_171220.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back