**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 Douglas TBD-1A Floatplane – Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Great Wall Hobby No L4812

Extras: Eduard PE EDFE966, Detail Set. Eduard PE EDFE967, Seatbelts. Eduard Mask EDEX354, Paint Masks. Kelik K48008, Interior 3D Decals.

20231024 2.JPG

The Douglas TBD-1A was a modified TBD-1 mounted on floats. This was the first production TBD-1 off the line BuNo 0268. It was initially a test bed for the Netherlands Navy who had it in mind to purchase the type. However, events in Europe put paid to this happening and the aircraft was retained by the US Navy as a torpedo testing machine. It was often joked that the TBD-1A dropped more torpedoes in testing than the whole of the US fleet did in WWII. The TBD-1A operated out of Newport, Rhode Island from 1939, long before the US entered the war in December 1941. :D

Last edited:
Sincere thanks gent, I'm hoping to make a start sometime today, so may have something to show later. :D

Last edited:
Made a start today. The kit has no dolly on which to stand the aircraft so the first thing I did was to assemble the floats. I then made a start on scratch building the dolly using the pics I'd found on the net. From what I can see, the dolly comprises of two support trolleys joined by a couple of beams. I was going great guns with the initial construction until realising that the rear support housing needed to be much higher than the one I'd cut. So that is a problem to fix tomorrow before we move making this dolly and beefing it up a little.

20240203 1.JPG

20240203 2.JPG

20240203 3.JPG

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back