**** DONE: Spitfire Mk.VIII "Fargo Express" Lt. L.P. Molland 308th FS - Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had to do some modifying to the kit supplied tail wheel. The Mk.VIII had a retractable tail wheel, but the kit has the fixed type. The drawing showes what I needed. The three pictures show first the kit part, second my modifications to it, and third after painting.

PB235909.JPG
PB235910.JPG
Spitfire MkVIII tail wheel.jpg
PB235908.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice T Bolt. Every time I use pastels for weathering, the top coat almost completely washes it out. How did you paint the exhaust...just like your pic of the real plane. I used to use Tamiya Burnt-Iron for the same results but haven't seen a bottle of it for years.

Geo

Last edited:
Nicely done Glenn - I remember having to do similar on mine.
I hadn't thought of looking back at your thread Terry, but just did now and saw that diagram that I posted. I found it in my Spitfire file and I no doubt copied it from your thread. So a belated thanks to both you and Andy for giving it to you. I wouldn't have had a clue how to make it look without it.

Very nice T Bolt. Every time I use pastels for weathering, the top coat almost completely washes it out. How did you paint the exhaust...just like your pic of the real plane. I used to use Tamiya Burnt-Iron for the same results but haven't seen a bottle of it for years.

Geo
The top coat does take away the efect of the pastels so I put them on heavier than I want them to look and count on them being toned down. The trick is putting just enough overkill into the pastelsbalanceance what is taken awaSometimesimes it doesn't come out exactly like you want it to.
As far asexhaustxaust painting. I do it sevdifferenterent ways. This time I painted it silver, then did a wasacrylicrilic black, and finished with a light dry brushing of bsiennaeinna.

Today I finished off a lot of the detail work
Picture 1) The finished landing gear struts with hydraulic lines made from copper wire
Picture 2) The finished prop
Picture 3) The main landing gear mounted. You can also see the drilled out cannon muzzles in this shot
Picture 4) Tail wheel mounted
Pictures 56) Overall shots as it stands now. I did some restrained paint chipping, but still need to do a lot of little touch-up painting and mount the prop. It should be finished tomorrow.

PB255938.JPG
PB265940.JPG
PB265942.JPG
PB265943.JPG
PB265944.JPG
PB265946.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back