Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Damn right - as long as you maintain that B&W tonal difference in the colours you use, its pretty hard to fault someone!

As for the wings, if you're going the RLM75/83 scheme remember that i) this was the EARLY scheme (intermediate is supposedly RLM82/83 and late is RLM81/82) ii) there are occurances of what is supposedly RLM81 and lighter/faded RLM75 (possibly a bad batch of paint that didnt colour correctly or faded REALLY fast) on the mid-500-series a/c (such as 500666), and iii) seeing as you've done your horizontal tails in RLM82/83, it would be quite fair to do your wings in RLM82/83, with RLM81 roots...

Of course thats your call and I'm not endorsing one path over another, just sharing - as you've said "If anyone has facts to the contrary, let him stand up now!"

Totally understand the whole weekend write-off thing too... I'm GAGGING to get this D-15 done, but have assignments and etc to finish for monday (writing a simple little 3D renderer application), so I'm making little headway either...

D

Thanks guys and good feedback Dan. So do think 500645 was an early, intermediate, or late production? I'm still able to change to the most likely scenario. Tail too.

What do you guys think about the 81? It's 2:XF-64+1:XF-51.

Well, 500666 is another interesting case, as we dont have a wing set directly associated with the airframe; what we do have is a Horizontal Stab set that APPEARS to be RLM81 and either RLM76 or faded RLM75. From there most of the notable researchers have extrapolated the same colours for the wing... Alas, that doesnt satisfy any of the standard colours for wing sets.

However, with the war situation pretty bad at the point 500666 was delivered and things like paints at a premium, all bets are off... You'd EXPECT RLM81/82, but the bulk of the wing camo was painted by the sub-contractor, you can never be sure - and then you have the case that the wings may have been replaced at some stage, so again, all bets are off (unless you have comprehensive photo coverage)...

Now if you're asking "What would Dan do?" give the RLM82/83 stabs and the RLM81/82/83 fuselage, I'd continue the theme with the wings... Intermediate RLM82/83 wing camo, with RLM81 roots and gun doors, feathering into the existing wing camo... BUT, I'm not the final word on all this stuff

D

What do you guys think about the 81? It's 2:XF-64+1:XF-51.

If you like it, sweet!

For me, its a little bit too chocolate (Wayne? Any comments??); I like my 'Braun-violet' RLM81 to be a bit more Drab, with a hint of Green (depending on the variant of RLM81 you're after) - but thats just me!

It seems sometimes you need 50/50 on that mix Andy my last one was too brown so I went from 2 to 1 to a 1 to 1 mix and I'm thinking it was still not perfect as i would have liked, if I'd had extra time i probably would have reversed the mix to 1:XF-64 + 2:XF-51 to get a tad more Greenish brown. I think the XF-64 has changed slightly in colour...?

@Wayne - I think I have a plan for one my Hobby Boss Ta 152C's - conversion to an unarmed (Blohm und Voss) Ta 152S-1, just for shits and giggles... Or perhaps this uni work is just sending me crazy?

D

Crandall calls up 75 or light gray with 83 on the wings.May need to defer to that since he's supposedly basing it on that elusive colour pic. Decisions, decisions....

If the claim is 75 underneath, be more likely the same on top simply taking it over the 'edge' to the lower surface meaning 75/83, yet 500 series supposedly had no 75 only greens.....?? I'm not helping here am I ...maybe a replacement wingset?

....and you probably are going crazy Dan...

@Wayne, they reckon the D-11's had RLM75 wing undersides with RLM81/82 or RLM82/83 camo on top... Personally, I like the idea of wrapping round a colour, because its more efficient; but on the flip side, you never really know what happens on the the finishing line (ie, lightly overspraying the RLM75 with RLM81 or 82) or at squadron level....

D

Why'd they bother with the underside anyway? Rest was unpainted. And NO, you're not helping Wayne!

Sorry.... They did the forward section underside because at low level the front lower surface in NMF would still be visible to some small degree so painting the front half helped with ground concealment and used less paint than doing it all!

Users who are viewing this thread