Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. Sorry I'm coming in late for the party, but thanks to Andy, I found this Build. Thanks Bro... So here is my official entry:

1/24 Scale D-9 Red 1 Work Number 210003 Oblt. Hans Dortenmann First Released Production D-9

User Name: Denis McCarthy
First Name: Denis
Scale: 1/24
Kit Manufacture: Trumpeter
After Market: So Far: Master MG131 machine gun barrels. Many handcrafted parts too

So! I wanted to go ahead and let you guys know the specs of my build, but I haven't read through all of the thread pages...yet 50(!) pages! Wow... So here is a picture of the Jumo 213A, which is where I am with my Bird. I've posted more pictures on another thread too. Its in the Start to Finish page. Here is a shot of the right side of the Jumo 213:

Jumo213AImage21000_zps130058d8.jpg

I've added some new coolant lines to the mill, as well as a crossover line to the left side of the engine. Next thing on the to-do list is the engine mounts. Really excited to jump in with you guys. Thanks again Andy for the invite the other day.. :)

Take care

...yet 500 series supposedly had no 75 only greens...

Yeah, I know that the general thinking, but we also have to consider wingsets were being made by multiple subcontractors (ie, a final assembly plant may have 1 or more wing subcontractor), painted by these multiple subcontractors, being shipped when ever they could be. There are images (somewhere) that show final assembly plants with racks of wings, that clearly have 2 or 3 different lower wing camouflages, in no particular order. So while I am OK with the general rules regarding camo's and colour's for blocks and plants, I think its a little narrow to restrict one's thinking to something like "upto WNr. X, wing sets were RLM82/83, from WNr. X+1, wing sets were RLM81/82" - there would have been a degree of overlap, there would be late deliveries, old stock; if the A-8/F-8 lines had an over-supply of wing sets, why not move some to the D-9 lines, etc... Plus as has been pointed out, replacement wing sets installed at Depot-level...

Japo and EE do a great job of generalising, showing trends and making (very) educated assumptions/guess/interpretations, but the sort of construction system that we see by late 1944, is one who's only real guiding rule is "Produce More Aircraft!" - thus, my personal beleif is that if its even half logical and you can dream it, it was probabaly applied to an aircraft! Prime example is to look at the Bf 109G and Bf 109K production and camo! :)

D

Sorry....:D They did the forward section underside because at low level the front lower surface in NMF would still be visible to some small degree so painting the front half helped with ground concealment and used less paint than doing it all!

To build on Wayne's post further, different subcontractors and plants had different takes on this too; some would paint half the wing, some would paint only the heading edge, some would paint all the wingtip cap, some some would paint half, some would paint none! Flaps were generally painted (ALWAYS in the case of timber flaps and most of the time in the case of metal), Ailerons were fabric and of course red-primered then painted. Gear doors were often painted the same colour as the wing lower, but could also be found in RLM75, RLM76 or RLM81/83. Again, the darker colours helped with ground concealment.

D

....and you probably are going crazy Dan...:D

Can't argue with that mate - anyone who thinks doing a Ta152S-1 is cool , is most likely crazy! Further backed up by the fact I made the Dean's Merit List for 2012 as well (putting me in the top 0.5% or something) of crazy... See, as far as I can tell, the fact I made the Merit List is irrefutable proof that I DID NOT spend enough time making model kits or having a LIFE!!! ;)

Ja huh - the good news is, the big assignments for the semester are DONE and the D-15 is slowly creeping fwd. If the Fw 190S-8 conversion shows in time, I might throw the HobbyBoss Ta 152S-1 together and paint them both at the same time (the HobbyBoss kit was a little crap, but on the positive, it has a pretty nice wing root join if you take your time); for your viewing pleasure!

D

Hi guys. Back for a bit of maintenance and to acknowledge the further help from Wayne ad Dan for my Black 6.

First off, a big welcome to Denis and his big Dora. Looking forward to your work on this one Denis. I've added you to the front page in the participants list.

A gentle nudge to those of you who haven't started yet or who've stalled - Get moving you lazy ba$tards!!!!!. No pressure.....:lol:

As for Black 6, I'm about to go down to the shop and splash on a light gray/RLM83 pattern on the main wings. Tailplanes will stay 82/83. Yeah, let's go with that and prove that I'm wrong!

That's me being subtle :lol:

Black 6 now with the wing camo on and the 81 fairings. I figured the gun covers could have been done too if they were installed with the fairing. Did a small bit of 81 on the tailplane fairing as well and figured the painter went and shot some mottles on the tail while he was at it......who knows!?

13052301.jpg

13052302.jpg

13052304.jpg

13052303.jpg

Apologies for the camera shake in the first two pics. Future coat goes on tomorrow then work on the landing gear.

Black 6 now with the wing camo on and the 81 fairings. I figured the gun covers could have been done too if they were installed with the fairing. Did a small bit of 81 on the tailplane fairing as well and figured the painter went and shot some mottles on the tail while he was at it......who knows!?

All looks reasonable to me - tho if it was me, I'd extend that RLM81 a little further onto the wings, just to smooth the shape of the edge a bit... But that's just me...

As for my beast, I'm now cleaning things up with 1200grit. Depending on how things look after the 1200grit and maybe some primer, we'll start to throw some colour at it :)

Well, I've passed the point of no return... FINALLY the front end is attached to the back end and its time to start playing with the minor seam around the back edge of the Gun Deck Lid and the gap at the rear of the lower engine doors... :) Pics when things are fitted and smoothed and gap-free. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back