Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All right then. Here we go. This is another Airfix 1/72 Fw 190D same as my first entry, but this time it's not a new build but a reconstruction of an old model.

Picture 1
Here's one "before" picture. This was actually my first ever Fw 190D model, built a long time ago when I was just a lad. Probably most of you guys who started modeling like kids had such builds - just glued together and decals placed, no sanding, painting, weathering, etc. You're noticing that I've glued the wheel covers the wrong way for example. All in all nothing special, but I was very happy when I built it. Couple of years later I painted it with some random color which I happened to have (think it was Hu 70). Just upper surfaces were painted with taking care not to over paint the decals and udersides left unpainted. In this state she survived on the shelf for years. Until now.

Picture 2 3
Some work already done. I've successfully disassembled the model and here are the main parts cleaned, sanded and panel lines re scribed. Only major casualty during disassembly were main landing gear legs. These are broken on several places and afraid beyond my ability to repair them. It seems this model will have to be finished with gear up in flying condition.

Picture 4
Here's the paint scheme which I want to do. It's an aircraft of II/SG 10 in April 1945. I only have this one profile and no pictures of actual aircraft. I've added to the profile my interpretation of colors used. Wing upper surfaces remain unknown. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2_01.JPG
    2_01.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2_02.JPG
    2_02.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 109
  • 2_03.JPG
    2_03.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2_04 - Fw 190D-9 II SG 10.JPG
    2_04 - Fw 190D-9 II SG 10.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 108
I don't have the JaPo books Igor but Crandall has only 2 pages devoted to II/SG10 in his two-volume Dora books. No known photos of full aircraft exist as at 2009. Only partial photos exist, all around the nose of the aircraft. One of the photos shows a D-9 with wheel covers removed with a dark, rounded tactical number partly and just barely visible. The number has a white outline and can not be verified as whether it's a 3, 5, 6, or 8. It could have also been in the teens as the group had 24 aircraft in strength in April 1945. It's possible the speculative profile above was created based on this photo.

The yellow band and rudder are correct, having been applied per a March 1945 directive. The band on the nose wold have been 500mm wide. As to colours, Crandall speculates that the the unit's aircraft were from the 500 WNr series so suggests the undersides and fuselage sides are the greenish shade of RLM 76. The front of the main plane undersides were RLM75, rear half natural metal with light blue RLM 76 ailerons. Nose of the aircraft is RLM83 Dark Green. Upper surfaces 82/83 with possibly RLM 81 along fuselage spine. Prop blades RLM 70 and spinner black with white spiral.

II_SG10 2.jpg
II_SG10 1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Okay, here's the current state of the build. She's ready for painting now. I'll fallow the profile posted earlier and info Andy provided and we'll see how it'll turn out.
Since this model is probably going to be finished wheels up in flying condition (unless someone has Fw 190 landing gear legs to spare), I was wondering about the tail wheel. I know that late versions of Bf 109 with tall tail wheel tended to have it fixed. Was this also case with the Doras or was it retracted in flight?

Attachments

• 2_05.JPG
    2_05.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 94
As memo serves the tail wheel for the FW 190D-9 was retractable all that time.

If you want I can send you the set of landing gear from a Mastercraft copy of the old Hasegawa kit.

Quick update on the build. Painting and decals done. I omitted the motling on the fuselage as the reference profile doesn't suggest any. Carrying on to finishing touches...

Attachments

• 2_06.JPG
    2_06.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Back