Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great score Jerry, and good stuff Karl! Doing same myself.

Btw Karl, may join you with a JG301 bird - Gelben 15, W.nr 500666 of I/JG301, as a 'complete' bird in contrast to the butchered Braunen 4.
Need to confirm Kagero's info on her, alot of 'probablies' in their colour description.

Edit: found this on Gelben 15: http://www.stormbirds.com/experten/yellow15.htm

Last edited:
Wayne Little - subject not yet announced

Still making up my mind....I have a Dragon kit with the fuselage and the wings done separately and not yet together...thinking I should finish this since I started it some time ago, before I joined the forum I think? but it means just getting it done without bells and whistles.....then there's the markings....so many to choose from....

Thinking a D-11 or D-13 but this should be a separate build thread....as I am yet to build an EDUARD kit....!

Cheers Wayne!

There is a faint line just visible on the RV band in the first photo on that link, which they said was possibly just a shadow - is that the one?
(is there a link to that image btw?)

Not aware of a link Evan but a picture clearly showing the red Gruppe bar can be seen in Captured Eagles by Gaemperle. The bar appears to be outlined in yellow in the red band.

Beauty, cheers Andy!

Haven't seen that pic, but if I see right in the pic I mentioned earlier, that bar is in line with the top horizontal bar of the Balkenkreuz isn't it? That seems to be why it isn't visible in the rear view shot, being blocked by the port tailplane.

In any case, got my 'complete' bird sorted then! :

User name: A4k
Name: Evan
Subject: Fw 190D-9 Gelben 15, W.nr. 500666, II/JG301, Straubing/ Langansalza (depending on source), April/ May 1945
Kit: Hasegawa or Tamiya (TBD)
Scale: 1:72
Accessories: Kagero decals, poss. resin/ PE details (TBD)

good looking for some information from the flaps and landing gear wells found these photos and diagrams of D9, the first is the same plane that I have already started (clean the parts and assemble the parts like the seat first, the control panel , ect, ect).

the second is one of 12 that flew under the red star against the Germans themselves who built them.

the third is a schematic havbia something strange never seen I./JG2 think it is but it is only an assumption.

is finally tail scheme.

I've been studying all the info I've collected or been supplied by Andy (Thank you very much!) on this bird over the last week and have worked up a painting guide based on what I think is the best interpretation of it. None of the profiles were what I came up with so I used features of several plus ideas I got from photos.
I used my kids colored pencils and crayons (trying to stay in the lines ) so the colors are not correct but are mostly keyed to RLM numbers for which I will use Testors Model Master enamels. The fictitious RLM 84 is a mix I'll try using Sky Type S and some yellow. The NMF will be a couple of shades of silver. Also, nowhere in any of the material I looked at did it say RLM 63. Some sources called for a "light gray" and I have a jar of RLM 63 on hand and I think it looks pretty good for that.
There are 2 different top views because I haven't decided which way to go yet. I've seen it both ways and I can't really see how anyone could get anything from the existing pictures so in the end I'll probably go with the one that I like best at the time I pick up the airbrush.

Question: There are a few areas on the bottom of the wing I've marked with question marks. I don't really know what to do here. I was thinking either RLM 75 or MMF. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Hi Evan. You are correct regarding he red bar. I've seen 4 different pics of yellow 15. The one in Captured Eagles seems to have been taken a bit later after a few more souvenir hunters got at the wreck. I's taken from a similar angle from the front but is much better for lighting and clearly show the bar.

Sergio - I don't have the JaPo book on the Dora but Crandall, with all his research, has been unable to identify the unit that White 15 belonged to. It's WNr 600651.

Glenn - wow, nice analysis - you're really getting into it! One reference I did not send you would support the upper wing surfaces to be light gray and 83, not 75. The 75 on the underside of the tail plane might be debated. Crandall gives the light gray colour an equivalent FS number 26373 but he doesn't mention RLM 63 if I recall correctly. Give the vagaries of the shades in the late war, I don't think there would be much argument on what the correct tone would be and your bottle of RLM 63 may very well be a convincing shade.

Cheers Andy, and also for the info on Blauen 12 and Scwharzen 12 you sent me! Schwarzen 12 may yet get a look in!

Great interpretation Glenn, and Sergio: have the same photo of Weisses 15 in 'German Aircraft Interiors 1935-1945 Vol.I' by K.A Merrick. His caption reads: 'It is possible that this Fw 190D-9, W,nr 600651, White 15, was opertaed by I/JG2 based at Merzhausen in December 1944. Note the under fuselage bomb rack which allowed the aircraft to operate in the ground-support role'

Glenn, the majority of the bottom of the wing is most likely NMF there are putty lines visible. the Ailerons probably 76 and flaps could be either, leaning to NMF.
Only the very front of the lower wing is the darker upper surface colour, personally i think both parties EE and JaPo got this wrong.
It is quite possible that the upper wings are in fact 74/75, Black 8 500581 has this feature coupled with greens on the fuselage.

Further studying continues...

Good going Glenn.

Would like to see you do an Eduard Dora Wayne

Image from an il2 skinpack, what do you guys think for accuracy !

Attachments

• 47_fw190d_hagen_foster_7-jg301_1945.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I'm going to officially launch my build:

1/48 D-9 Black 6 WNr 500645 of III/JG2

Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Aftermarket addons: Not much. This kit comes with almost everything you need to make a nice, detailed model. Depending on what will be made visible, I may add a bit of wiring.

This particular aircraft will depict one of the rare Doras with the Ta152 tail. Only 2 have so far been shown in published photos to my knowledge although it's believed that there were more that were actually built. Available photos don't show much of this aircraft though interpretations of the colours and markings have been produced based on notes made from a privately held colour pic of this aircraft before it was destroyed. The scheme will look something like this:

EDIT: I meant to post a small progress picture. I started into this model at lunch time yesterday and got a couple of 1/2 hour sessions in up to now to get some of the engine plug and gun bay done. have the day off tomorrow so should get some paint splattered on.

Last edited:
I will be watching this from afar as I am deathly afraid of RLM mottles. Great research guys. I have a Dora in my vast almost finish stash. For whatever reason, I suffered massive hemorrhaging during that camo paint session. I do usually get a wee bit of paint under the mask but this was brutal.

Geo

Great stuff Karl and Andy!

Karl, made that bird once in 1:72 (Airfix kit, Academy decals). No internet then, so didn't know how she 'should' look, just followed Academy's instructions:

Will do a check on the net for you. Have one photo of the cat here somewhere, but it was an Fw 190A (or F)-8 IIRC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread