Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Andy/Evan.
The Academy 1/72 kit was my first on my return to the hobby.
So for now will cross ref the instruction sheet from that, the decal sheet and the two profiles i have !

Will formally launch my build over the weekend

That'll be an interesting one Andy. What color are you using for the underside of the wing aft of the NMF. It looks very similar to what I'm doing on mine and I'm not sure about the RLM 75 now, too dark I think.

Hey, Andy,
Man, I am glad to see you taking on the Eduard kit! I will be leveraging your build posts to avoid any pitfalls you MAY find. You are alredy ahead of me (it has been damned busy at work). Hopefully, I will get some progress made over the weekend.
Dale

Image from an il2 skinpack, what do you guys think for accuracy !

I haven't checked that aircraft but two things on the skin are unusual for a 7./JG 301 aircraft.

1. I'd expect a yellow number (kennziffer)
2. I'd expect a red bar,bordered in yellow,running through the fuselage band to indicate II Gruppe.

It's always possible that these weren't there for some reason on this aircraft,I'll have a look later. The Geschwaderkommodore,Fritz Auffhammer,was a bit of a stickler for the markings on his unit's aircraft. He had come up with a non standard system (for example you won't see any chevrons or such like on any of the stab aircraft) for security reasons.

Cheers

Steve

Karl, I was looking through all my references for your rig and found one pic of just the nose section showing the cat and revealing not much esle. Crandall says the cat is black but the tint looks lighter to me suggesting red is possible. I found no other pics of this plane in my limited collection. I was going to mention the expected yellow number but Steve beat me to it. I also flipped through Reschke's JG301/302 book to see if that WNr showed up in the loss list but no luck.

Glenn, I've not really thought that far ahead but my thinking is that the only other colour on the wings, apart from the 75 on the front half, would be the ailerons in 76. The rest will be NMF. The fuselage undersides and underwing panels covering the fuel tanks will be the bluish green and I've not thought about how I will paint that yet.

Dale, the thing I'm finding already is that you need to decide early on whether or not you will have the various access panels open as there are parts that the instructions say to leave off if the panels are to be closed. I've decided to model the MG131's and at least one of the cannons open to viewing so some detailing will be inevitable.

Well looks like more thinking to do on the colors yet.

The decals were waiting for me when I came home tonight and they have a lot of included info about the paint scheme I'll have to study.

I finished cleaning up the wing joint, the only filler needed being a little CA at the lower forward joint, then I installed the horizontal stabilizers and upper engine cowl. Exceptional fit on both.

hpqscan0001.jpg
hpqscan0003.jpg
P1259244.JPG
P1259247.JPG
P1259248.JPG

Last edited:
Howdy, All,
Well, I got a little time on the bench this evening. Andy, you are so very correct about the decisions that need to be made during assembly. I am still not sure if I am going to leave the MG13 bay open or not yet. I do know I will leave one of the cannon bays open, but not both. I decided I would still utilize two of the pieces from the MG bay that are supposed to be left off if closing the bay. I'll need to check what needs to be cut out if I close the bay. I wanted to keep these pieces as they have the ejector chutes molded into them. I did decide to drill these out and shape the final cut outs with an xacto blade. You can this work here:
Ejector Chutes 2.JPG

I got most of the engine "plug" assembly done tonight. I still need to verify the fit and finish of a couple of pieces and do final weathering and staining. I may add some additional wiring if I can find a reference I can trust of the wheel bay. The pics below are with a dry fit in one fuse side. I just wanted to do a sanity check. You can just make out the ejector chutes now that I managed to get some flat black into them in the final picture. Here is the work so far:
Engine Plug 1.JPG
Engine Plug 2.JPG

Not sure how much I will get done this weekend on the Dora as the superscale decal set for the P-51B arrived late this evening. I do want to get that bird done so I can check one decent construction project off.

Dale

Last edited:
Username destrozas
first name sergio
scale 1/48
manufacture Italeri
aftermarket various materials to scratch parts and decals of karaya

I put mine, fw190D9 dora under the red star

image of wings palette

1_2.jpg

according to the instructions of the decals says that the plane was caught in Marienburg, but in January 1945 when the squadron was activated on 210 and had a flight time, according to some authors say that the plane was repaired and sent but are conjectures, but as described in the book Ja Po or so they say I do not have the book at the moment.

out of curiosity i was reading this article the results of research obtubieron obtenidad by the Russian Aviation Research Service of the plane, it is disheartening to know that the Russians dora tubieran that vision even more when each fighter had been hit hard by Doras , which says a lot for the great pilot of the Luftwaffe:

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/lw/fw190d.shtml.

but hey the issue continues to be what it is the only numeral 21xxx1 so see if another set taqmpoco is very problematic.
the stars are on a blue-gray or blue griseaceo, for the good old technique that has shown wojtek and I made several samples of the colors of the era Russians and the AMT-5 looks very similar but I might be wrong since even that shed light on what I have not so controlled and can vary the tone, the coloring will be the common overall in 1945.

Now the model, I would have liked seen putting on the engine but italery model is not the most suitable for making variations of this type has a complicated confection mold bastente to modify.
with the image of the Eduard flaps flaps have done to mine are not as good but hey Photo Etched that entertainment a little on me and I filled them.

pics:

IMG_0005-2_zps1968e274.jpg

IMG_0002-2_zps5f888283.jpg

IMG_0003-2_zps195c5df7.jpg

IMG_0004-2_zps797b6b7f.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. Wayne, I'd love to see you tackle yellow 10. I need to pick up that D-13 kit someday and do it myself.

Dale, you're slightly ahead of me now. I looked at those chutes and am pondering options for making them hollow. Not sure I will go the drilling route though.

Quick question

The Eduard colour scheme for Red 4 has the white stripes on the fuselage stopping at the wheel well (from the nose).

Does anyone have an opinion whether this is correct please or should the stripes go all the way to the tail?

Cheers

Few pictures exist of Red 4 and those that do reveal nothing of the rear undersides. In my opinion, stripes wold have gone to the tail as photos of other aircraft in this small squadron confirm.

Quote from EE D-9 Vol.2 re. Red 4 "No photo's are known to document stripe placement and to verify White stripes under the rear part of the fuselage"

Red 13 has many more images yet still does not confirm the fuselage stripes either, yet they should be visible in a couple of images, so it is possible they were not there on Red 4...I would have thought yes to ensure utmost visibility, but you just can't tell...

....and Yellow 10 IS on my list Andy!

I read that too. If you look at he pic of Red 1 on the top of page 59 you can make out one white band on the rear fuselage. On page 92, a white stripe can be seen near the centerline of Red 13 running well behind the wheel wells.

I'll check my refrences for the Red and white striped Doras I recal a FW-190D-9 book in Russian that might have more photos of them, I'll double check just to be sure :D

reckon you should crack one of those open Wayne !!

lostinhull, i will go through my Dora's of the Galland circus book for you, though i reckon if the answer was out there Wayne or Andy would have seen you right by now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back