Douglas Skyraider....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20240308_192721.jpg

Source: North American P-51D Mustang TOURING with the Liberty Foundation and "YE OLDE PUB" | Erickson Aircraft Collection

Is there a better photo around for BLIND FAITH II?

IMG_20240322_071934.jpg

AD-7 (A-1J) Skyraider/Bu. 142028
1964: VA-145 as NK-504.
1966: VA-176 as AK-402.
Put into storage at the AMARC bone yard.
29/08/1967: Struck off charge.
Transferred to the USAF as 52-142028.
USAF 602nd SOS.
1971-72: USAF 1st SOS.
11/1972: Transferred to the South Vietnamese AF.

Nice finds good buddy, shame none shows the "BLIND FAITH II" name, as I'm curious as which style, font, was used....very handy nonetheless! 👍🏻👌🏼👏🏻

Still can't find a shot of a better quality that could present the font type. However I gathered a couple of images but not of a large size. Looking at them I would say there are two or perhaps three variants of markings. At least two of them are the basic ones.

1. The B&W image with the A-1J. The letter "C" of the squadron marking is of a quite "square" shape at its corners. There is the name of the plane seen on the engine cowling. No other inscriptions on the fuselage etc.. Please also notice the top of the letter "C" that seems to be slightly overpainted at its top. A kind of a patch can be seen there what may indicate the fixing of damage made to the rudder.

tc028a.jpg

the pic source: 1st Special Operations Squadron

2. The colour shot with the plane of the square "C" but with the additional inscription "Maj Jim Harding HOBO 01". Please notice there is no the trace of the rudder repairing at the letter top. Unfortunately the name at the engine cowl isn't seen. However I found an another shot of the three Skyraiders byt taken with the different angle. And the name can be noticed. However the "II" in the center of the inscription isn't seen. But I think it is the mattter of the pic resolution. Anyway the name was there.

Maj. Jim Harding HOBO 01a.jpg

A-1J 142-028_c.jpg

A-1J 142-028_c1.jpg

the pic source: A-1 Image Panel 2

3. The B&W picture with the plane but of different ( more rounded ) "C" letter of the squadron code marking. There is no name applied on the starboard engine cowling. Also please notice the lack of the white antenna behind the AN/ARN-6 loop antenna at the fuselage top. I have found a small colour shot of the plane IMHO. The caption syas it was taken over the Laos. No name on the engine cowling but there is the white antenna behind the loop one. However the enlarged shot doesn't allow to state at 100% if the "C" is of the round type or of the square one. It looks like the round one IMHO.

A-1J 142-028a.jpg

a1karst.jpg

a1karsta.jpg

the pic ource: A-1 Image Panel 3

3a. And finally there is a large shot of her. The round "C" letter and the white antenna can be noticed. But what is more there is the name on the starboard engine cowling.

A-1J 142-028_d.jpg

A-1J 142-028_d1.jpg

the pic source: My Fighter Career: Skyraider Weapons Employment

The font .... I have checked on a couple of images of the Skyraider kite and have to say the many of them had the inscriptions written with the Gothic font type. Looking at the enlarged inscriptions I would say that these seem to be made with the kind of the font. It can be noticed that the "H" letter is of the same style both in the name and "HOBO 01" inscription. Also the "d" letter in the name of the Maj. Harding. Generally all the letters look quite "square" what may suggest that type of the font called Rotunda or Fraktur. Certainly it might have been a modified font type or just a mixed one. As you may notice the "A" letter in the abbreviation "Maj" has the nice "forelock" and looks like being a capital letter of a smaller size than the "M". The capital letters look guite decorative and this also may suggest the Romanesque minuscule type font. No wonder minuscule was the predecessor of Gothic. To sume up .. the font was a Gothic type IMHO.

font.jpg

font1.jpg

gothic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back