Drawings and Sketches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Emac44

Staff Sergeant
Oct 17, 2006
Brisbane Queensland
Recently a work colleague of mine was cleaning out some parts of his home and came across a drawing that his own father copied from a Drawing of Skuas attacking Bergen a German Cruiser at anchor. My work colleague claims his father drew the Drawings in 1943. He asked my advice on what he should do with this discovery. My advice to him as follows. Get the paper and drawings preserved as soon as possible and frame the drawings so they will be protected from the elements as the paper will eventually crumble from acid and handling from acid from human contact. He has come across 3 drawings so far all hand drawn by his father. He has also been offered money for these drawings. Which I said to sell this seeing its from your own father is like selling a part of your soul. But by all means preserve these drawings quickly. Contact Australian War Museum Canberra or Australian Military Archives for further advice.

Work Colleague has told me he will take digital photos of these drawings and promised me a copy of said drawings. Which I will scan or copy to my hard drive and share them on this site. There are other historical aspects of the drawings that relate back to the developer of British Airships from the 1930s. Of which my work mate and I will research further and I will keep you updated when we find out more of the origins of these drawings and the copies my work mates father had done of them in 1943.

These drawings that are in my work mates possession are block art paper and pencil drawings from the 1940s and only just been found by my work mate. If you have any advice I will pass information onto my work mate.

The local comic shops will have protective Mylar envelopes and preservative-treated backing papers on hand. If the drawings are too large for the standard formats, the comic shop people can order larger sizes. Or he can just find and order them on-line. The museums and archives libraries are also usually happy to advise and assist anyone looking to preserve old papers and works of art.

Looking forward to seeing them too :)

JL

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Was thinking contacting local art supply stores to gain advice on protecting the paper and the drawings themselves. As soon as I get a copy of those drawings I will definitely place them on website. But I also have to ensure I have my friends permission to do so. I have already gained that but will still respect his wishes if he decides NO

Get some acid-free pockets to place the drawings in - you local comic book store or art stuff supplier is the place.
It'll protect the paper until you guys can get some advice from a museum on how to store the drawings. ;)

Mate took a digital photo of the drawing and transferred it to A4 on his scanner. I tried enhancing the copy as best I could on my own scanner. Hope you can make it out

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 207
I reckon they're of historical importance Emac, and the AWM should be contacted by all means!!!!

Good advice on the preservation so far. I would suggest getting them framed professionally - not cheap, but worth it in this case. If framing them himself, I would suggest framing behind glass with a passpartout to allow 'breathing space' for the drawings.

I'd also suggest framing, with some UV-protective glass of some kind - either glass or plexi or whatever's available.
Judging from the quick sneak peak, it sure looks like an very interesting drawing seen from here.
I'd love to see more. ;)

There are altogether 3 Drawings that my Friend has found. Bombing Hiroshima and Cologne. Of these I have not seen so I can only presume what quality they are in. I had advised my work mate to contact some one skilled in preserving these drawings by his father. From what I understand Work Mates Father was in the Kings Own Scotish Borderers (KOSBIES) and had been before the 2nd World War. He had also seen service in Northern Ireland after World War 1 with the KOSBIES. Work Mate also showed to me a Miltary Cap Badge of a Dragon with Wings extended on the Cap Badge. And I believe it was the Cap Badge of the Welsh Regiment of the Mormouth Territorial Regiment from Wales. From Regiment History the Mormouth was nearly wiped out in the 1st Battle of Ypres reduced from Infantry Regiments to that of Engineering on the Western Front during World War 1. From the Mormouth Regimental History this Regiment was formed originally in 1780s?. I am going to ask my Work Mate for a digital photo of the Cap Badge and place it on a disc. Workmate has approached me on several historical military questions in particular the Cap Badge and asked me what it was. It took a couple of days to track down which Regiment it came from as Work Mate thought it was the Cap Badge of the KOSBIES. Where his father got the Cap Badge we can only assume he was given it or came across it during His own Military Career. Work Mates Father is deceased and Work Mate is just now finding documents like the Drawings as he is cleaning out his home and keeps coming up with treasures his father had stored over the last 70 to 80 years or so. All I can say is I will keep you informed as time goes by and I still have to abide by Work Mates Decissions to what I can show you on this site

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back