Dream house in a dream location. Where would you live?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really I could have sworn the English were building log cabins as well. Everyone built log cabins in America.

But if you want to call it nordic style, yes that is what me and the wife want to build, just smaller. Only 2500 to 3000 square feet.

From Wiki....
In the present-day United States, settlers may have first constructed log cabins in 1638. Historians believe that the first log cabins built in North America were in the Swedish colony of Nya Sverige (New Sweden) in the Delaware River and Brandywine River valleys. Many of its colonists were actually Forest Finns, because Finland was controlled by Sweden at that time. The Swedish colony only lasted a couple of decades before it was absorbed by the Dutch colony of New Netherland, which was soon absorbed by the English. Most of the descendants of the Swedish-Finnish colony are believed to have stayed in North America. Their quick and easy construction techniques not only remained, but spread.

I have admit though, probably mentioned it before, I regret that I didn't add this class, after my two-year car painting class at school, how to build these log houses, always a special feeling living in something that you've built yourself, right? :D

Difficult choice, but maybe on the mountain overlooking Lac d'Annecy, in the southern French Alps.

From Wiki....
In the present-day United States, settlers may have first constructed log cabins in 1638. Historians believe that the first log cabins built in North America were in the Swedish colony of Nya Sverige (New Sweden) in the Delaware River and Brandywine River valleys. Many of its colonists were actually Forest Finns, because Finland was controlled by Sweden at that time. The Swedish colony only lasted a couple of decades before it was absorbed by the Dutch colony of New Netherland, which was soon absorbed by the English. Most of the descendants of the Swedish-Finnish colony are believed to have stayed in North America. Their quick and easy construction techniques not only remained, but spread.

Very cool, learn something new everyday...

I have in mind a place with a view over the sea..that's 180 degrees taken care of :)
The tricky bit is the other 180 degrees.....

I have in mind a place with a view over the sea..that's 180 degrees taken care of :)
The tricky bit is the other 180 degrees.....

That is why we want to settle down and build our Timberframe on the coast of Alaska or Maine. Beautiful ocean views out the front, views of the mountains out the back.

'That is why we want to settle down and build our Timberframe on the coast of Alaska or Maine. Beautiful ocean views out the front, views of the mountains out the back.'

I can understand that desire.
There are a few houses on the Devon / Cornwall coast that are suitable. It would have to be stone/ brick though with the damp winters here.

Can only put round things in round corners - like lots of beer bottles..... or round buns with bacon in them ..........

A thought occured to me that one of the most islolated places can be in a big city where no one knows you.
So, an apartment over looking the Thames perhaps?

Its not a bad thing Matt...you can live in the most isolated building you can find ( bear) or, live amongst others en masse, like a big city, but be on your on to all intends and purposes.

I have never really been sure which is best and achieves what I seek.

Anyway, enough rumination...lets get back to the lovely BACON :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back