Dream house in a dream location. Where would you live?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
One thing I have always wanted is a house where you can look through 360 degrees and see no one... :)
That is a tall order in Britain. Scotland has places in the highlands but, the weather is too extreme. Midges - snow.
Ummm... difficult one.

Where would you live?

Difficult one! Anywhere close to mountains, need to have them there hills close, we're not seeing eye to eye me and the flatlands!
California, same side as B.C. in Canada, where I've got relatives, hot rod and the kustom culture, old school that is, not too far away from Bonneville, sort of....
The logging history of the Pacific Northwest, which my dads cousin was part in the '20's, would explain my soft spot for logging railroads, like Climax, Heisler and Shay...and some fair sized mallets!
Also close to former Milwaukee Road, SP, GN and NP country, proper mountain railroading, not much left of any of them, but bl**dy beautiful country for outdoorsy stuff!

Whistler is beautiful, but extreme in weather with upper elevations. And a very pretty Canadian young lady server told me and my wife to watch out for "beaver fever" during the summer. So that counts me out. Can't afford that at my old age. My wife is going to get everything as it is.

I would like to live in Sequim Washington (rains very little), wonderful community and live in a small rambler (one floor) house. I don't need much too keep me happy. I'm a simple guy. Just need a room to build models (my retired dream), a gun range to go to where the locals won't f#ck with me, and a decent grocery store for meat/seafood/vegetables. They have a couple and they are world class good.

Alternative would be to live around Washington 101 Lake Wynoochee area. That is God's country. Rain forest of the Pacific Northwest. Quiet. Pristine and rains enough to keep all the other effers off my property. But ammenities like grocery items are literally rarities.

I have been all over this continent. BC is beautiful. But nothing that Seattle doesn't have and perhaps in my humble opinion even less so if you like the city diversity thing.

Oregon... okay. Kinda like Washington, but hotter in the summer and less green.

Kalifornia? Perhaps northern Kali, but even that sucks because of the people. Spent many a year there.

Nevada? What happens in Nevada, stays in Nevada. For a reason. Only losers, reprobates and thieves live there.

Arizona? Suprisingly beautiful actually. Especially the upper desert, Sedona and higher area. Why are all the cars white? Well that's obvious... who wants to live in an oven. Clue? Everyone's front yard consists of crushed rocks. Beauty...

New Mexico? Pretty state, especially around the mountain areas of Albequerque.

Hmmm... Oklahoma. You know why Texas doesn't float out into the Gulf sea? Because Oklahoma sucks.

Where was I... oh yes. Louisiana. Specifically N'arlins (New Orleans). That hurricane cleansed the region. If you have never been there, you have no idea. What a social, ethical and racial $-pool.

Alabama. Racists inbred. Both black and white. Went to highschool there in the early 1980s. You would have thought it was the 1960s. You're a redneck. You're a #igger. Throw rock thru bus window at end of year. Repeat. And yet, some of the most polite and welcoming strangers you could ever meet. Their hospitality drips from their mouths like their honeysweet drawl.

Kentucky - Strange southern state. You can go from millionaire to pauper in a mile.

Ohio - City hard and country nice.

Georgia - Gentele, redneck and hood hard. Beautiful architecture.

Florida - Swamps. Swamps. Frogs. Gators. Huge bugs. Gators. Crabs. Old People from New York. Gators. Not much variety actually.

South Carolina - Rednecks. I know. I have close relatives there.

North Carolina - People who think they aren't rednecks.

Virginia - People who know they aren't rednecks. Many of them work in Washington DC

Western Virginia - Rednecks who are proud to be rednecks. And marry their first cousins.

Washington DC - Nobody who lives in the district (16sq mi area) is actually from here. DC is strange. It is wealth personified and a half a block away is abject poverty, corruption, and crime. Third world country crime, lack of education and societal evolution. Don't believe me? Take a trip to DC and book a hotel room in the SE district of our capital. I dare you. I did it many times.

Minnesota - Get away from the major cities and it is nice. Weather is a bitch though.

Michigan - Same

Idaho - Lovely little towns. But what weather extremes!

Montana - Same here! But Lord they are both beautiful states. Man on man.

Last edited:
I'd live in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan as close to the Soo locks as possible. It is such a beautiful place.

Istria, in the west part of Croatia, is neat place. Mild weather, good food, while being far tidier with more tolerant people than here in the south. One is close to Italy, Slovenia, Austria and mountainous region of Croatia, so you can swim in summer and ski at winter, all within 100 km.
Otherwise, Southern Germany (now that's a place where everything is at place) or New Zealand.

I would purchase a small Greek Island and the house would be built around a fountained courtyard, all the courtyard facing walls would be able to open fully to allow air circulation. Solar Panels and Wind turbine on the roof. Borehole drilled for fresh water.

Nordic style? ;) :lol:

No a beautiful timber frame home or modern log home.

Well, since the Swedes and the Finns brought the log cabins with them to the U.S. back in the in day, it has to be Nordic style... ;) :lol:

....or something like his, aboouuut the right size, now...where did I put my crossbow??

Log%20House%20Rental%20001_full.jpg

Well, since the Swedes and the Finns brought the log cabins with them to the U.S. back in the in day, it has to be Nordic style... ;) :lol:

....or something like his, aboouuut the right size, now...where did I put my crossbow??

View attachment 237249

Really I could have sworn the English were building log cabins as well. Everyone built log cabins in America.

But if you want to call it nordic style, yes that is what me and the wife want to build, just smaller. Only 2500 to 3000 square feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back