Driving myths: the driving test.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yoou guys shoudl try the Cook Islands Motorcycle test!
Instructor tells you the route, and says he'll follow you. He gets on the bike as you are, then as you pull away, he stops, gets off his bike and waits for you to get back. I guess the theory is, if you make it back O.K. you are safe!

Ah, can't beat good old-fashioned common sense. :D

When I took my test I hit a curb as I pulled over. Convinced I'd failed I just stopped worrying and drove normally. I was very shocked when she said I'd passed!

First driving test, the car stalled, glovebox flew open and dumped numerous amounts of crap in the instructors lap.

Contrary to #3 on the list - I failed.

I passed mine 2nd time around, in one of the UK's tightest test center Rugby, for manouvering space exiting the test center at the start of the test that is.
Just as I think that there should be a driving visitors test/lesson/drive--advising (for lower insurances purposes too) for persons travelling elsewhere as Njaco suggested, so to should there be a 80+% voted unanamous for a 3rd term of a U.S. President, but we can all dream of safer World.

Last edited:
Since I actually started driving when I was 3-4 yrs old and then when I was 14-18 driving my parents around in poland when visiting I had no trouble passing the test here in the states. Had a learners permit first when I was 16 then a license at 18.. Here's what I learned to drive in. My Grandfather hand built this and I still have it.

Attachments

• torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 142
Lol, it started off as a 3 wheeler but i flipped it one time, has a moped motor in it,2 speeds,leaf spring suspension,chain drive and rear drum brakes. They called me a future Jean-Louis Trintignan who was a famous French race care driver/actor, have a whole album of newspaper clippings and pictures...

I spammed through my driving test...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took my test I hit a curb as I pulled over. Convinced I'd failed I just stopped worrying and drove normally. I was very shocked when she said I'd passed!
Likewise, when I took the test in 1976, and I skidded on my emergency stop (it had just rained for the first time in weeks.) My instructor had warned me that everyone makes at least one error, but, if the examiner felt that you were otherwise safe, he'd overlook a minor fault, and that seems to have been true, in my case. Of course, things are a lot tighter, now, with a written exam, first, which you must pass (with high marks,) before going on to the practical test.
During the 1960s, a friend was due to take his motor bike test, and the examiner told him to go round a particular route, and, at some point, he'd step out in front, to check his emergency stop. He did the circle, and nothing happened, so he did it again, and again, and...... After an hour of this, he got fed up, and went back to the test centre, where they told him that the examiner was in hospital; he'd stepped out in front of the wrong bike.
Edgar

Over here in Germany the driving test is pretty strict. The school is very long and very expensive as well. It involves several months of class room work about driving theory, laws and so forth, and several months of driving with a teacher.

I actually stalled out on the driving test at a red light. The tester though said it was alright because I did not panic (like most people taking the test) and just restarted the car and continued driving. Passed the test first go.

Two questions that should be included in the German driving test.

1 Are you Michael Schumaker or Sebastian Vettel?
2 Do you intend to drive like Michael Schumaker or Sebastian Vettel?

Two questions that should be included in the German driving test.

1 Are you Michael Schumaker or Sebastian Vettel?
2 Do you intend to drive like Michael Schumaker or Sebastian Vettel?

Yeah most Germans think they are Michael Schumaker. :lol:

Believe it or not though, it is not them that scare me the most over here. It is actually young American soldiers (21 and under) who get over and here and think they can drive like Schumaker. Even worse are their wifes who are too scared to drive...;)

Last edited:
I have endeavoured to teach my 22 year old daughter to drive. It is a lot lot harder than we both realised to teach the 'proper way' as opposed to the 'survivalist way'.
The new UK driving test is very strict with no allowances made. Hence the 60% fail rate average. (nice little earner for the Governmant at £62 a pop)
Following on from Chris' remark, I think a lap or two of the 'Ring' should sort out the men from the boys.
BTW, Russian drivers are appalling.
Cheers
John

That's amazing . I was in Germany in the early 70's. I only got to Holland and Italy. The Germans were competent, and usually law abiding, why not since they could let the beast out on the Autobann. But the Italians were crazy then too. It was like a whole nation of 17 year olds driving.

That I can agree with, but I think the Italians still take the cake.

The French are the easiest to drive with in my opinion, it is very relaxed driving in France.

He He Adler try driving aroung the peripherique in Paris at about 10PM I am sure everyone is full of vino collapso or for a real laugh have a go at place de la concord.

The arabs take the bisquit no matter which direction they want to go they will pull up behind the shortest queue at the lights then play dodgems when the lights turn green.

Germans are I think technically the best in Europe except they arnt all as good as they think they are resulting in some huge pile ups when it rains.

He He Adler try driving aroung the peripherique in Paris at about 10PM I am sure everyone is full of vino collapso or for a real laugh have a go at place de la concord.

Germans are I think technically the best in Europe except they arnt all as good as they think they are resulting in some huge pile ups when it rains.

I drove through the peripherique in Paris on my way up to Normandy in July during rush hour traffic. Very bad experience...;) Overall though I find France easy to drive in.

I also agree with you on the Germans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back