Dumbest question ever posted on this forum?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did the whole Corn Dhu-Pen y Fan thing as a young cadet,though it's fair to say I didn't have much choice in the matter :)

Magnificent scenery.

Health and Safety probably wouldn't allow us up there today.

Steve

Probably not !
We had a fantastic few days climbing Pen and walking in the Beacons.
The view and the wind were amazing.
Cheers
John

Ah, New Zealand lamb. That was advertised in the pre EU days along with other products sent to Blighty by the colonials.

Caused a bit of a stink here when Britain decided to turn to the EU for its meat and produce; makes economic sense though, but boy, Britain was accused of 'abandoning' its young and all sorts!

It is now $11.50 a minute....

Crikey, that's cheap! You can't buy NZ lamb in the supermarket for that!

Australian jokes and jokes about Australians :)

Caused a bit of a stink here when Britain decided to turn to the EU for its meat and produce; makes economic sense though, but boy, Britain was accused of 'abandoning' its young and all sorts!

Most of the clearer thinking Brits didn't want to end the Commonwealth produce Nuuumann.
I'm not that it has made any economic sense over time.
Why we could not have both EU and Commonwealth goods on our tables is beyond me.
Choice is all....
Cheers
John

Most of the clearer thinking Brits didn't want to end the Commonwealth produce Nuuumann.
I'm not that it has made any economic sense over time.
Why we could not have both EU and Commonwealth goods on our tables is beyond me.
Choice is all....
Cheers
John

I think protecting European farmers had something to do with it. We can produce really high quality wheats that account for something like 60% of the asian export wheat markets, but we manage a measely 0.5% to 1% of the EU market. Canada clobbers us there, but even the Canucks are being artificially pushed out of the market by those cranky french farmers.

I think protecting European farmers had something to do with it. We can produce really high quality wheats that account for something like 60% of the asian export wheat markets, but we manage a measely 0.5% to 1% of the EU market. Canada clobbers us there, but even the Canucks are being artificially pushed out of the market by those cranky french farmers.

You are probably right Michael, The Common Agricultural Policy was only ever geared up for the French.
Now, the EU is expanding and getting more impoverished countries who contribute little or nothing to the 'euro pot' the British will rue the decision the burn the Commonwealth bridges.
There is a under current here to leave the EU and just have trade agreements with Europe. At least that way we would have a choice from around the world....
Maybe one day.
Cheers
John

Romania had way too many horses just hanging about.

Proper butchers are seeing a boom in business now. The processed food that has horse meat / DNA has been taken off the supermarket shelves.
People will get a shock when they start paying the proper price for beef....

How much is beef per pound in the USA?

Cheers
John

Depends on the location, cut and quality. Example from you average supermarket in Seattle area:

Ground chuck - $2.49/lb
Ribeye - $5.99/lb
Sirloin - 3.49/lb

Depends on the location, cut and quality. Example from you average supermarket in Seattle area:

Ground chuck - $2.49/lb
Ribeye - $5.99/lb
Sirloin - 3.49/lb

We are paying nearly $12 a pound for supermarket ribeye.
Ridiculous money....and goes some way to explain why the horse meat fraud was so attractive to the criminal fraternity.

Ridiculous money....and goes some way to explain why the horse meat fraud was so attractive to the criminal fraternity.

Wouldnt buy meat from a supermarket if they gave it away with a gold brick its all chemicals and drugs never mind Shergar.

My cousin and I buy a pair of little piggywiggys every 6 months, feed them up on scraps, windfall apples, nuts and grain and when they are a nice size its bye bye piggywiggys and hello to a chest freezer full of prime pork cuts, sausages and bacon. Mmm just had a big chunk of homemade Cumberland sausage with mashed spuds and winter greens. Tommorow its bacon and some of our first free range eggs of the year.

Smart people. But then its impossible to it do in big cities.

So you pay 20 euros per kilo??? Ridiculous prices.
We pay maybe 6-8 euro here, and the stuff is top notch, from flavor to color. At supermarkets the prices are lower.

Smart people. But then its impossible to it do in big cities.

So you pay 20 euros per kilo??? Ridiculous prices.
We pay maybe 6-8 euro here, and the stuff is top notch, from flavor to color. At supermarkets the prices are lower.

You could make a few bob sending your decent meat over here Tomo.
We pay through the nose for everything these days....

You want to see expensive meat, try Japan. A pork chop can cost you ten bucks. Serves 'em right for Pearl harbour, I reckon. That said, it's a cheap place to eat so long as you like Japanese food, which I do, and the beer is pretty reasonable too. Anyone who goes all the way to a country with an entirely different cuisine then bitches about the price of steak deserves to be knocked on the head anyhow.

My cousin and I buy a pair of little piggywiggys every 6 months, feed them up on scraps, windfall apples, nuts and grain and when they are a nice size its bye bye piggywiggys and hello to a chest freezer full of prime pork cuts, sausages and bacon.

What do you feed your pig for bacon flavor? If it's cheap I'll feed it to the neighbor's dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back