Dumbest question ever posted on this forum?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This thread can only lead to hurt feelings and discouragement to ask questions. We've had on many occasions youngsters who asked some very basic questions and others who simply want to start a discussion. I don't see this thread as appropriate to the spirit of this forum.

You are taking this entirely too seriously. As I said in the second post, there are no dumb questions on this forum. There are only Aholes who down those who ask. And I'm the first Mod to jump on those folks. The future success of this forum is based upon our collective ability to attract younger enthusiasts.

Otherwise, we end up having a business model like Social Security. Doomed for the trash heap.

To me the dumbest are the ones that start with, "Need some info for a term paper about ..." and the poster never even googled the topic for basic information. What they're after is for you to write their homework paper for them.

I don't like the "what Ifs" becasue there is no answer, it never happened ... just discussion of opinions that sometimes leads to a fight about fantasy beliefs, and it can get acrimonious ... it's like fighting over a fantasy football game.

Another least favorite is about arguments arising from data posted with either no reference or references that are unavailable to anyone I know in aviation including several museums. Statistics that purportedly come from reports that aren't recognizeed by anyone are in this class.

You are taking this entirely too seriously....

I don't think I am really but I'm not changing my opinion. I've dished out and received my fair share of jibes.

The future success of this forum is based upon our collective ability to attract younger enthusiasts.....

I agree, but that poor bugger who we jumped on for asking for that colour pic will never be back so that's one member we won't need to worry about signing on. Yeah I jumped on the band wagon but I do have a few regrets about this. It did get me thinking that many people who have poor grammar skills or for whom English is a second language, or who may indeed have interests that most of us deem odd, may inadvertently ask something that everyone thinks is a dumb question.

I wonder how those guys who have asked the "what if" or "you are in charge" questions are feeling right now?

The one thing about the "You are in charge ..." posts is there are no wrong answers since the subject usually never happened or is contrary to history. So, almost anything you say, while it could be argued either way, can't really be refuted. It never happened and COULD happen the way you say it might in your thesis. Also, the historical victor, if confronted with a real life "what if" might not react the same as they did in real life becasue the tactical situation would have changed from what really happened.

So, it's all speculation and that makes for some possibly interesting reading every once in awhile.

There was a movie called, I believe, "Final Countdown" ... or something like it that had a modern US Navy carrier being transported back to Decembder 6, 1941 and had F-14 Tomcats intercepting Zeros on the way to Pearl Harbor. Now THAT was an interesting "what if," expecially considering they almost crashed an F-14 filming it! It recovered less than 50 feet above the water from a stall using full afterburner. The premise was interesting and made a good fantasy that was entertaining if pure imagination.

Science fiction is pure imaginatiopn and it, too, is entertaining if well written.

Crimea River ---

Man, point those out to me. I'm the first guy to champion a question, especially from someone who is young or speaks a second language.

In fact, I challenge any forum member to confront us Mods or other forum members for being too harsh to those new to the forum/genre. And especially those who have english as a second language. I'm always questioning my own reactions to posts to ensure that what may appear to be member rudeness, is nothing more than something lost in translation. I don't like to use real names in this forum unless private, but Crimea River if you EVER see an agregious affront to any forum member that crosses your own personal lines I welcome you to private message me. I will assure you that I will address your concerns with an even handedness that takes all involved into consideration.

For those not familiar, us Mods have a private section of the forum wherein we discuss, debate and lament over forum activity. This can be brief. And on some subjects can be debated in depth. What I can tell you, is that while we often are conflicted with member issue adjudication, we are unanimous in our conclusions.

Sure............... and the KGB glasses are less intimidating?
I didn't know you had KFC glasses! I have been trying to collect the entire bunch!
Do you have the highly collectable "Colonel Sanders bu**ers a chicken?" I need that one to complete my collection!

There was a movie called, I believe, "Final Countdown" ... or something like it that had a modern US Navy carrier being transported back to Decembder 6, 1941 and had F-14 Tomcats intercepting Zeros on the way to Pearl Harbor. Now THAT was an interesting "what if," expecially considering they almost crashed an F-14 filming it! It recovered less than 50 feet above the water from a stall using full afterburner. The premise was interesting and made a good fantasy that was entertaining if pure imagination.

I remember that movie. Not too bad. Good carrier/flight scenes.
I like the "what if" posts. Fun to bandy about. Also picks at some details that otherwise never gets discussed.

Some of the "what ifs" bring about good discussion or help reveal why somethings were done the way they were. In hindsight perhaps not the smartest decisions sometimes but with some historical perspective some of the decisions become understandable.

None of us is as smart as all of us so the only "really" dumb questions are those that fly totally in face of "reality" like physics. Some of us may not understand physics but questions that ask "why didn't they use anti-gravity paint?" may be considered "dumb".

If a train leaves Chicago at 10:45 and the color orange is non-determinational, why is the cup half empty?
(And the answer isn't 42!)

As I use to say in my old job of line trainign instructer, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." Trite but true.

Having said that, any question asked that seeks to deliberatly cause controvesy or provoke argument rather than devate probably counts.

If your driving down the freeway at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on will they work ?
That question makes me realise i know the speed of light but what is the speed of dark ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back