EAA AirVenture (Oshkosh WI)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VBF-13

Staff Sergeant
Nov 2, 2010
I was at my municipal airport today and I thought we were being invaded, lol, until I saw these particular Zekes had only two propeller blades. This is a part of the "Tora, Tora, Tora" group of planes going off at the Oshkosh show between July 25th to 31st, or so I was informed. They are remakes, but look darn good.

My airport is Aurora Municipal (IL). It was a rendezvous point for quite a few of the fly-ins to this show several years ago, and I was able to catch them then doing their drills and formations right over my back deck. Just the roars of the engines over those two or three weeks would give me and the old man goose bumps. He was Navy: SBD, F6F, FM2. They had F4Fs or FM2s up in those skies, but not the others.

Here's the best I could get with my iPhone6 from my car, as I couldn't get in the restricted area.

thumb_IMG_0896_1024.jpg

Good stuff. There was 'Zero' replica at the last Duxford show, using a Harvard/T6 as a base, and it looked quite good at the right angle.
Pic below.

AM 259.jpg

Seen them perform the last couple years and cant wait to see them again this year :) Here is the group in the air last year. For those that don't know it AirVenture starts on the 25th of this month. 7 days of airshow and I cant wait.

DSC_0247.JPG

Last edited:
Got an extra thrill this afternoon. Got done with business early and went back there on a whim just to nose around and caught Mr. John O'Connor's F8 and a brief but memorable chat with the gracious gentleman. When I told him the old man was in an F6 squad, his eyes popped open wide. He had nothing but respect for those workhorses, and wished like the Devil he could fly one. He also owns an F4U and a T6. I cornered him as he was coming out of the restricted area, but I at least got these crappy iPhone6 shots of his big beautiful cat from outside the fence. He said he's going to work her in the next few days. I'll be home over the weekend, listening, and with my head pointed up. :)

thumb_IMG_1029_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1035_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1039_1024.jpg

Hey, boys and girls, check these out. I'm going to be a celebrity around here, this keeps up. Lol. That B-29 is reputed to be the only one left still flying. I have to say, I'm pumped. They're going to fly her tomorrow. I caught her about a mile away from my house, descending for a landing. The little airport is about five miles away. I might just sit on my deck all day tomorrow waiting for her to go by so I can get her on video for five or ten seconds. :)

thumb_IMG_1308_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1312_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1296_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1288_1024.jpg

Hey, boys and girls, check these out. I'm going to be a celebrity around here, this keeps up. Lol. That B-29 is reputed to be the only one left still flying. I have to say, I'm pumped. They're going to fly her tomorrow. I caught her about a mile away from my house, descending for a landing. The little airport is about five miles away. I might just sit on my deck all day tomorrow waiting for her to go by so I can get her on video for five or ten seconds. :)

That could change this Sunday on only one B-29 in air :) Nice shots by the way.

B-29 Doc Remains "Go" for First Flight This SUNDAY!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back