Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

English Polish Given those named in the photo, it was evidently taken at No.58 Operation Training Unit (OTU), at RAF Grangemouth, during February - September 1943. The senior ranking officer is Group Captain Cecil Walter OBE, 19232, who was Officer Commanding No.58 OTU. The other officers were evidently staff of No.58 OTU, including some Polish Air Force instructors; including Wing Commander Tadeusz S Nowierski VM, 76803, and Flight Lieutenants Bolesław Henryk Drobiński VM and Mikołaj Paraskiewicz, 76744. One of the RAF officers is Flight Lieutenant William Gregson DFC, 103520

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
English
Wg Cmdr George "Grumpy" Unwin DSO DFC* - 19 Sqd
His service-wide nickname was "Grumpy"; supposedly after he complained about the noise squadron comrade Douglas Bader made repairing one of his leg prostheses late at night in late 1939. It kept Unwin awake and he let everyone know about it. Another story relates that it was due to his reaction at being left out of the squadron's operations during the Battle of Dunkirk on 26 May 1940, due to a shortage of aircraft.

1. American Original Press Photo from 1943 shows named air crew members of the USAAF 380th Bomb Group, 528th Bomb Squadron when based at Fenton Field in Northern Australia.
  2. Captain William Shek was pilot of B-24 "Dauntless Dottie". While Major John M. Henschke, the Squadron Commander was pilot of B-24 "Miss Giving" William Shek flew Dottie from the States to Australia when it was deployed in early 1943; he named the aircraft after his wife.
B-24D-65-CO 42-40495 Dauntless Dottie
B-24D-65-CO 42-40489 Served first with 380th BG, 528th BS. To RAAF as A72-4. 03-03-1944 Friday. Damaged in hangar fire at Tocumwal Oct 2, 1944. Converted to components and SOC Jun 1950

1. Press Photo 1943 USAAF 2 Named Crew Members 380th BG 528th BS Fenton Field | eBay
  2. DAUNTLESS "DOTTIE" and MISS GIVING

German
Polster, Wolfgang 'Poldi' Fw 5 8/JG-26 (joins 11/42), 11/JG-26 (7/43; 2/45 Plantlünne) Fw 190A-4 in 42, Bf 109G-3 Werk # 16277 "Red 16" (lost 8/21/43; pilot injured, engine fire), Bf 109G-6 (6/44), Bf 109K-4, Fw 190D-9 Werk # 500603 "Yellow 10 + I" (lost 2/24/45)
EK 1 & 2
Wound Badge
Fighter Operational Clasp in Silver WIA 24 February, 1945, when he was strafed by a Tempest of No.274 Sq., piloted by S/Ldr David "Foob" Fairbanks, after landing in "Yellow 10" at Plantluenne. His war flying was over after 107 missions. According to Gehrke, Polster flew more missions during the last bitter year than any other III Gruppe pilot. One known victory, a Spitfire at Scheld Mündung on 30 July, 1943. His 2nd, a B-17 (HSS) of 385BG NW of Münster on 10 October, 1943. His 3rd, a P-51 of 355FG E of Zwolle on 8 April, 1944. His 4th, a P-38 of 55FG at Pontoise, N of Paris, on 14 June, 1944. His 5th, another P-51 of RAF No. 122 Sq. N of Lisieux on 27 July, 1944. Aka "Wolfgang" per Butler Pilot List & Magnus.

1. Kracker Luftwaffe Archive
  2. S203 TOP Foto+Autograph Jagdflieger Wolfgang Polster 1945 JG 26 5.Luftsiege ! | eBay

German
Böhm-Tettelbach, Karl Obstlt 1/22/1910 Portland, Oregon 10 Stfkpt 1/JG-234 (38), Stfkpt 7/234 (6/38), III/ZG-142 (8/38), Kdr ZG-26 (8/43-2/44) Bf 109B, Bf 110G-2 Werk # Unk (dam 1/11/44)
Deutsches Kreuz - Gold(2/24/44)
EP

EK 1 & 2
Wound Badge, Destroyer Operational Clasp WIA 11 January, 1944; force landed in the vicinity of Rollhausen, near Gottingen, after combat with American bombers (LOCS). One known victory, a B-17 at Liebernau, by Nienburg, on 8 October, 1943. Another, a B-17 at Schleswig on 9 October, 1943. A 3rd, a B-17 S of Rheine on 10 October, 1943. A 4th, a B-17 at Perenfeld, 8 km NW of Syke on 29 November, 1943. Victory count may be higher (Magnus). Bowers/Lednicer, 40 victories. Alternate spelling: Boehm-Tettelbach.

2. S202 TOP Foto+Autograph Jagdflieger Karl BOEHM-TETTELBACH JG26 40.Luftsiege ZG26 | eBay

German Nachtjäger II ZG76 Major Kaminski

Was a subject in the book Battle of Britain, the man with a soar throat.

Kaminski, Herbert Maj 5/24/1905 Ohmswalde, Ostpreussen 7 I/ZG-26, Stfkpt 2/ZG-26, Kdr I/ZG-26 (5/41), Kdr I/JG-53 (11/41 Katwijk; 3/42 Med); 6/42 S.U.), Kdr II/ZG-76 (10/43-8/44), Kdr FFS A/B 41 Frankfurt (12/44 to end) Bf 110E "3U + AB" in ZG-26, Ju 87, Bf 109F-4 Werk # 7542 "<<+" (30% dam, failed start, Gela, pilot OK) in I/JG-53, Bf 109G-2 Werk # 13481 "Black <<" (dam 7/24/42)
RK(8/6/41)

Spanish Cross

EK 1(8/28/40) & 2(6/8/40)
Gold Wound Badge(2/18/44)
Ital. Pilot Badge
Dive Bomber Operational Clasp in Gold(1/3/42) A Destroyer pilot, he replaced von Werra on the Dutch coast as Kdr I/JG-53 after von Werras death in October 1941. He was awarded the RK for his successes against ground targets in Crete and in Russia. Wounded five times. Injured in a landing accident in his G-2, believed to be engine failure or Russian flak damage, 24 July, 1942, on the northern outskirts of Taganrog, Ukraine. He opposed the 6 March, 1944 Berlin Raid while in II/ZG-76. After being Kdr II/ZG-76, he headed a pilot training school. About 300 combat missions. Five victories as Destroyer pilot. Two of his victories were in the East. One known victory, a Hurricane on 20 December, 1941. His 7th, a LaGG-3 on 28 June, 1942. Sometimes referred to as "the Last of the Prussians". Killed in an auto accident at Garmisch 18 Jily, 1971.

2. TOP Foto, Offizier, OrdenOriginal Privatfoto Nachtjäger II ZG76 Major Kaminski | eBay

Here's the account from the book I did (Zerstörer, the Messerschmitt 110 and its units in 1940) with another researcher/writer Peter Cornwell, that came out in 1995. I am presently doing a complete update/re-write of this book which should come out next year:
'However the sea would lay claim to another Zerstörer pilot. Hptm. Herbert Kaminski, Staffelkapitän of 2./ZG 26, severely damaged in combat with British fighters, was forced to ditch during the return flight when both engines failed about 12 miles east of Foulness. Due to an unhealed shoulder wound from 15th May, Kaminski was flying without harness straps, and was thrown forward violently by the force of the impact with the sea, breaking his nose on the instrument panel. His Bordfunker, 20 year-old Westphalian Uffz. Heinrich Strauch, also suffered a head injury but got out and deployed the dinghy.
'Unaccountably, he failed to connect the oxygen bottle properly, and the dinghy failed to inflate. This prompted an enraged Kaminski to place the abject Strauch under 10 days close arrest as they both trod water and pondered their situation, which was dire. Later, when they found that the dinghy was shot through and wouldn't have inflated anyway, Kaminski reluctantly rescinded this punishment Stripping off their bulky flying clothing and heavy boots, they were relieved to be circled by a returning aircraft which obviously radioed their position, for as twilight fell a welcome Heinkel He 59 rescue floatplane of the Seenotdienst appeared. They watched with growing despair as it tried to land on the choppy sea, but the waves were too high and it was forced to leave them after dropping another dinghy which they reached with considerable difficulty and boarded with even greater effort.
'They spent miserable nights bobbing around in the North Sea, singing desultory songs and reciting interminable snatches of Goethe before being rescued by a German Navy minesweeper four days later. In a joint inter-service search-and-rescue mission organised by the Geschwaderkommodore himself, Oberst Huth, it was guided to them by four Zerstörers of their unit. Kaminski and Strauch were both admitted to hospital in Dunkirk, Kaminski subsequently flying over 50 sorties against England and claiming two British fighters destroyed before his transfer to the Zerstörerschule at Schleissheim the following October. He would later return to combat duties, and would ultimately be awarded the Ritterkreuz on 6th August 1941.'

Please give an heads up when it is available.
The updated text and loss/damage tables are complete, and I've proof-read them twice already (I will do a further proof-read when everything else is finished).
I am now at the point of going through all of my Bf 110 photos and selecting those to use. However, this is a long process. I have 12 folders set up, one for each month of 1940. I also have a 'General' folder to transfer photos into for those I do not have a definite date. I am going through all of the photos I have, unit by unit, and having decided which month they relate to/likely relate to, I then copy the photo into the particular month's folder. When that is finally done, I will go through each month's folder and put them in time order, as far as that can be done. For example, there are some photos that have a definite date attached to them (shot down or damaged in combat), and others that are of the period/month but cannot be tied down to a particular date. Those undated photos will be worked in around then 'known date' photos to provide a balance. Also I will attempt to have a levening out of units across each month (in other words, not have a pile of ZG 26 photos all together, and a pile of ZG 2 photos all together - unless there are 3 or 4 photos of the same event). This is a nightmare with something like the white-nosed Bf 110s. That marking came in towards the end of August 1940 and continued through to the end of the BoB and beyond. So I have to exercise judgement on those photos that do not have an exact date attached to them, and spread them out evenly as far as I can. This 'nightmare' also extends to unit emblems. The dragon emblem - is this photo of I./ZG 52, or II./ZG 2 following re-designation? Ditto for the three wasps emblem - is this photo of II./ZG 1, or III./ZG 76 following re-designation? Aaaggghhh!!!

THEN, I set about writing the captions for (probably) between 250-300 photos.

I'm looking to finish all of the above by the end of the year, for publication next year.

What I have said in the second paragraph above is not to blow smoke up my own ass, but to give people an idea of what goes on behind the scenes in order to reach the point where they have the finished work in their hands. Probably close to a thousand hours work. Yes, I am a nutcase for doing it, but it is, I supppose, a 'labour of love'.

Anyway, hope the above is of some interest to those who read it all...

John Vasco Seems there is intrest in the subject of your coming work. 364k views of the pictures and answers of or just informatief replies these 2 threads get.

Thank you for your explanation of how hard it can get in writing these books.

Users who are viewing this thread