German Nachtjäger II ZG76 Major Kaminski
Was a subject in the book Battle of Britain, the man with a soar throat.
Kaminski, Herbert Maj 5/24/1905 Ohmswalde, Ostpreussen 7 I/ZG-26, Stfkpt 2/ZG-26, Kdr I/ZG-26 (5/41), Kdr I/JG-53 (11/41 Katwijk; 3/42 Med); 6/42 S.U.), Kdr II/ZG-76 (10/43-8/44), Kdr FFS A/B 41 Frankfurt (12/44 to end) Bf 110E "3U + AB" in ZG-26, Ju 87, Bf 109F-4 Werk # 7542 "<<+" (30% dam, failed start, Gela, pilot OK) in I/JG-53, Bf 109G-2 Werk # 13481 "Black <<" (dam 7/24/42)
RK(8/6/41)
Spanish Cross
EK 1(8/28/40) & 2(6/8/40)
Gold Wound Badge(2/18/44)
Ital. Pilot Badge
Dive Bomber Operational Clasp in Gold(1/3/42) A Destroyer pilot, he replaced von Werra on the Dutch coast as Kdr I/JG-53 after von Werras death in October 1941. He was awarded the RK for his successes against ground targets in Crete and in Russia. Wounded five times. Injured in a landing accident in his G-2, believed to be engine failure or Russian flak damage, 24 July, 1942, on the northern outskirts of Taganrog, Ukraine. He opposed the 6 March, 1944 Berlin Raid while in II/ZG-76. After being Kdr II/ZG-76, he headed a pilot training school. About 300 combat missions. Five victories as Destroyer pilot. Two of his victories were in the East. One known victory, a Hurricane on 20 December, 1941. His 7th, a LaGG-3 on 28 June, 1942. Sometimes referred to as "the Last of the Prussians". Killed in an auto accident at Garmisch 18 Jily, 1971.
View attachment 800587
- Kracker Luftwaffe Archive
- TOP Foto, Offizier, OrdenOriginal Privatfoto Nachtjäger II ZG76 Major Kaminski | eBay