Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is
Because I keep a running list of some 50,000 US Navy aviators constantly updating with data on their various assignments during the war years. So
1 There is no W R Dow in any pre-during-post war officers registers (I only look at registers from 1939 to 1949), both USN and USNR who was an aviator.
2 He's in a OS2U which would conform to being in VS-70, at the time part of FAW-4 and based at Cold Bay Alaska, which is what I have for William F Dau (250669), drawn from a VS-70 squadron roster.
3 Look at the name stenciled on the life vest, clearly shows "W R DA. . . (and a sliver of the next letter)" not "W R DO. . ." And the sliver, straight up and down would be either an "I" or a cut "D", "H", "L", or "U". There was no "W R Dai . . .", no "W R Dad. . .", no "W R Dah . . .", no "W R Dal. . ." as an aviator in the registers, so looks like we're stuck Mr. Dau.

Not being snippy, just how I came to my conclusion. Took about 5 minutes once I saw the photo. 2292 aviators with last name starting with D, 8124 entries for same.

This is the original image, as seen in a photo album of squadron pilots in the collection of the National Naval Aviation Museum with its original hand-written caption:
webmediaCA2ZH21O.jpg

Because I keep a running list of some 50,000 US Navy aviators constantly updating with data on their various assignments during the war years. So
1 There is no W R Dow in any pre-during-post war officers registers (I only look at registers from 1939 to 1949), both USN and USNR who was an aviator.
2 He's in a OS2U which would conform to being in VS-70, at the time part of FAW-4 and based at Cold Bay Alaska, which is what I have for William F Dau (250669), drawn from a VS-70 squadron roster.
3 Look at the name stenciled on the life vest, clearly shows "W R DA. . . (and a sliver of the next letter)" not "W R DO. . ." And the sliver, straight up and down would be either an "I" or a cut "D", "H", "L", or "U". There was no "W R Dai . . .", no "W R Dad. . .", no "W R Dah . . .", no "W R Dal. . ." as an aviator in the registers, so looks like we're stuck Mr. Dau.

Not being snippy, just how I came to my conclusion. Took about 5 minutes once I saw the photo. 2292 aviators with last name starting with D, 8124 entries for same.
Thanks

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back