Eduard 1:48 Spitfire Mk.XVI (WEEKEND EDITION)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More innards work. I could for the life of me get she shoulder harness through the "towel rack". On odd thing, the instruction sheet shows the anchor harness that attaches behind the seat but isn't included with the decals. I'm wondering if they erred and what is shown was supposed to be P.E.. Anyhoo....I broke down and added some pre-painted photo-etch which where not that easy as well. Shown is I.P. added and resting. The left side panel is just taped in to make sure all is aligned.....which it is.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

A photo of how the rudder pedals are supposed to be attached and it looks like this is the only way. The shaded areas of parts F29 and F30 have to fit under the lower cockpit frame and round pegs under the pedals have to be seated at the back of the I.P.

IMG_0001.JPG

Thanks guys. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this is about?

IMG_0001.JPG

It won't be seen and has really no other purpose other than strengthening the fuselage. I would have rather seen a one piece upper cowl than this. Airfix had something similar but I've left it out on the three kits that used it without incurring any problems

Your attention to detail is amazing. Looking at your posts, showing the complexity of the instructions and tiny parts, reminds me of why I had so many parts left over when I used to build.

Thanks gents and thanks for that Andy. For whatever reason Eduard had the area that the square peg would sit flashed over. It wasn't until I had clipped off the square pegs and was using my magnifying visor to line things up that I noticed this. Gluing the innards to the outards so while waiting for this to set up I though I would tackle the four part exhausts that need to be installed before the upper cowl is attached. Not sure why Eduards uses this approach while other kit makers allow one to install them at the end. Also.... four pieces?????? It took quite a bit to figure out a sequences to make sure everything fits where it should, five thumbs are required but this is how I did it. 1) Fit Fiddly Part G9 into Fiddly Part G43 and walk away. 2) After much fiddling around, fit Fiddly Part G10 onto Fiddly Part G3 and walk away. 3) After much fiddling around, fit the above to Fiddly Part G9. Circle complete, now walk away. When dry it all snaps nicely into place

IMG_0002.JPG

Very nice of Eduard to hollow out the exhausts for me. Maybe its to atone for the above.

IMG_0003.JPG

In my last three builds I have forgotten to install the propeller attachment points.....not today baby.....not today. I circled this the day I first opened the box

IMG_0004.JPG

Yeah, they still haven't completely got rid of the complexity gene in their DNA but it's better. When I built my early Eduard Bf110, they would have had me glue EACH exhaust stack to a backing plate before installing it in the nacelle. 24 tiny stacks to line up and glue AND they weren't hollowed out. Fortunately, Quickboost came to the rescue.

Beautiful build, but I'm not sure I'm ready to have to glue all of the rivets on, one at a time; Eduard probably will not be my next kit purchase. Not enough patience or glue. It sure does produce some fine, never to be seen, detail.

Thanks Ralph. Togetherness and bondage. Its almost seamless except where I sanded, about an inch. I have a bad habit of sanding more toward the outside of the piece rather than on the inside

a.jpg

Did a test fit of the fuselage to wing join and actually had to flex the wings down to get the fuselage in, the fit is that tight. No seam work needed any where and just a bit of pressure at the rear left to get it all to seat when glued. If it wasn't for this small area, no glue would be needed

Fuselage is done and seams dealt with. Next up is to install the two piece cowling. I know I have to eradicate the seam that will run between the two pieces (A) but also include is a seam that runs across the cowling pieces (2) (ignore location). I can't find a good photo of the area and drawings are for and against.

1619331198550.png

Apparently you can use the Ultracast drop in piece for the Mk.IX ($8.95CAN plus $3,000,000.00 shipping) and it also shows a cross seam

1619331363544.png

Eduard also make a drop-in replacement part specifically for the Mk.XVI also with panel line. The cheapest I've seen on eBay is $13US, = $150,000CAN shipping included

1619331740815.png

I'm leaning toward a panel line

The top cowling seems to be of a quite smooth surface although the line that runs across the cowling can be noticed. Here enlarged shots for the Mk.IX and XVI. The line can be found on both early Mk.IXs and late Mk.IX and Mk.XVI.
Also a couple of nice pics of the preserved kite in the Aviation Museum in Cracow you may find here... Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. XVI in Detail

Spitfire_Mk_IX.jpg

Spitfire_Mk_IX_.jpg

Spitfire_Mk_XVI_.jpg

Spitfire_Mk_XVI.jpg

spitfire_MkXVI_a.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Great stuff guys. Got me thinking now of a post I made doing my Mk.I's; a panel line wasn't there when it was made at one factory. Gonna have to do some more checking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back