Eduard 1:48 Spitfire Mk.XVI (WEEKEND EDITION)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The seam, if it was present, would be very subtle in my opinion since the upper cowl was intended to be entirely a one piece unit, albeit made up of many components. The seam might be where two fixed sections of stamped aluminum sheets butt together. Maybe they initially stamped two mirror-imaged pieces and later found a way to stamp the entire section, I don't know. Interesting detail but, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with it frankly.

Added the wings, fit is fantastic, Just need to hit the lower fuselage seam and add some rivets to the top of the fuselage

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

I built them as the full rad and then installed it into the wing with no issues. Not sure what else you would do except maybe trying to glue the sidewalls into the wing first with the lower plate taped in place to make sure there's no gap in the recess. Not that complicated really.

....and that's exactly what I did Andy. I had to force the screens in, the fit was that tight. While doing this I noticed that the copper wire I used for the rad mister had departed at some point. Just for the heck of it I wanted to see if I could remove the kit part with the Tamiya saw. Mission was a success....

IMG_0004.JPG

.....however....I had such a death grip on the part with tweezers, I managed to crush the outlet so I did as Andy suggested and used the .03 lead wire. This was actually more to scale than the finer copper wire

IMG_0005.JPG

I attached the one piece clipped wingtips, something that rarely fits well but holey-moley, I am super impressed

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

A few bits and pieces left and masking the clear parts and I should be ready for painting. It'll be close to achieving my target of two kits built in a month

Thanks guys. Slowly adding parts. Getting ahead of myself here. A few years ago I bought a Shadow Thinnerline Circle Cutter and while moving my model stuff from one room to another I packed it into a box and promptly misplaced it. I wanted to use it for painting Hinomarus, other round things and to cut masking for those pesky windscreens that are round at the top. While tidying up my room I found it in a box in a box so now I will give it a try. The front half of this spinner is a different colour. My plan is to run this over some Oramask and then place it over the spinner and spray. My second test drive nailed it

IMG_0001.JPG

Whether it will stop over spray is another question. Still fiddling around with the upper cowl pieces. As separate parts they fit great but as a whole they seem too wide at the front

That could work Geo. Given that you can accurately place the mask, it might be an idea to seal the back of the mask, where it touches the white (?) part of the spinner, with PVA, which should prevent any "seepage" of paint under the edges of the circle. Once the paint has fully dried, and the mask removed, any remaining PVA can easily be peeled off.

Thanks Terry. I should have placed these photos of the upper cowl issue I'm having last night. Keep in mind that when these are just loosely sitting and when lightly pressed into position the fit is almost seamless.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

And when they are fit together

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

This is actually better as I have been slowly working on it. As shown in the instructions, Eduard would have one join the two halves together first so I'm glad I went this route first. I did manage to find a build that was just finished a few days ago but all the builder told me was, "have fun with the upper cowl seam". I haven't heard from him since. Odd that such a great kit would have so few builds out there on the hinterwebs

Last edited:
I agree, an odd way of doing things. Bit of stretched sprue in the gaps sanded flush, should do the trick.
Good luck with the bears ..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back