Egypts new Tomb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
DNA samples maybe. Check people who have had their DNA tested against some of the mummy's. That is if you could get a good enough sample from the mummy. The cross checking might be too expensive though.

...or go doorknocking. "Hello? Mrs.Tutankhamen? I'd like to talk to you about your great great great uncle Ramses..." :)

Seriously though, saw a Ramses II exhibition in february. Apparently he had about 96 children, some to his own daughters and granddaughters. Imagine how many descendants he must have...

DNA wouldn't be the best bet but it would be possible but not really worth the time it would take. Better of looking at mitochondrial DNA which is passed down from generation to generation on the mothers side, apparently we can all be traced back to one female through this method.

Just been watching a program about the latest Tomb discovered in Egypt and this got me thinking. Anybody know if any-one has tried to identify the modern descendants of some of the Pharoah's ?

I would have thought with modern technology and historical records and such like, it should be possible to find a living releative of Ramses or such like.

What do you reckon ?

The whole family could've been killed an there are no living relatives..:lol:

Not quite the pharaohs, but a mate's Star Wars take-off:
-Luke, I am your father.
-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
-Like it or not, yes.

Indeed, she is termed mitochondrial Eve if I remember correctly. Then again I could have all my facts wrong...

You're not, you're right. ;) :thumbleft:

Mitochondrial Eve refers to the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA).
In other words, this was the woman from whom all living humans today descend, on their mother's side, and through the mothers of those mothers and so on, back until all lines converge on one person.
Because it is generally passed from mother to offspring without recombination, all mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) in every living person is directly descended from hers by definition.
Mitochondrial Eve is the female counterpart of Y-chromosomal Adam, the patrilineal most recent common ancestor, although they lived thousands of years apart.
Each ancestor (of people now living) in the line back to MRCA had contempories such as brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. but none of those people have descendants living now.

Mitochondrial Eve is generally estimated to have lived around 200,000 years ago,[2] most likely in East Africa,[3] when Homo sapiens sapiens ("anatomically modern humans") were developing as a population distinct from other human sub-species.
Mitochondrial Eve lived much earlier than the out of Africa migration that is thought to have occurred between 95,000 to 45,000 BP.[4]
The dating for 'Eve' was a blow to the multiregional hypothesis, and a boost to the hypothesis that modern humans originated relatively recently in Africa and spread from there, replacing more "archaic" human populations such as Neanderthals.
As a result, the latter hypothesis is now the dominant one.

What I really *really* like about this, is that we all come from the same little female in eastern Africa. :D
Which again proves that we are the same race - eat THAT, racists! :D :rofl:
The downside of this is that it means that we're basically related to creeps like Adolf Hitler, Ted Bundy, Osama Bin Laden, etc.
Total bummer!
The cool thing is that we're also related to people we like and admire. :D
Admitted - the family relationship IS stretched quite a bit (give or take a few thousand generations), but it is there. :)

'Mitochondrial Eve': Mother of all humans lived 200,000 years ago

*hums*...walk like an Egyptian.... :lol:

It is possible to trace some through DNA. A few years ago they did DNA searches on a Bog man found in UK. Checked DNA with a few local towns and such and actually found a relative!

I can imagine how that went
Police Officer; Good morning/afternoon/evening Mr. /or Mrs. Somebody, I'm afraid I've some bad news for you.
We recently identified that one of your relatives was murdered.
Somebody; What, who is it!?! not ____!?
PO; Oh no, sorry, you misunderstand me, he died 1000+ years ago.
S; Eh? Can you repeat that, you do know what time it is?
PO; Well we thought we'd come and tell you as soon as we found out anything...
S; Is this a joke?.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back