End Of The World: Caused By An Experiment? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Fear Looms Over Scientist's Experiment to Uncover Secrets of "Big Bang"

Sunday, September 07, 2008

This sounds crazy to me.....

A British physicist has claimed he can explain the secrets of the Big Bang Theory, but his controversial experiment has scientists believing he could bring about the end of the world, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported.

For centuries, scientists have sought unsuccessfully to unlock the secrets of the Big Bang Theory — a model explaining the birth of the universe. But 63-year-old Dr. Lyn Evans of Aberdare, England, popularly known as "Evans the Atom," claims to know the answers, and will test his experiment on Wednesday by using a 17-mile-long doughnut-shaped tunnel that will smash sub-atomic particles together at the speed of light, the Mail reported.

Evans' ambitions, however, have brought widespread concern among scientists who say the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes inside the Earth, and subsequently bring destruction to the planet.

"Nothing will happen for at least four years," retired German Otto Rossler told the Mail. "Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it."

TO

Here is the problem, until science proves otherwise, suspicion and fear seem to go crazy. The earth was flat at one time. If an airplane went beyond the speed of sound, it would disintegrate. Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous. All of these have proven false. Are other scientists actually really concerned, or jealous of this scientists findings and research?

I thought they had already smashed particles together at light speed at the Fermi lab anyway.

Hmm...where is my tin-foil hat?

Here is the problem, until science proves otherwise, suspicion and fear seem to go crazy. The earth was flat at one time. If an airplane went beyond the speed of sound, it would disintegrate. Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous. All of these have proven false. Are other scientists actually really concerned, or jealous of this scientists findings and research?

I thought they had already smashed particles together at light speed at the Fermi lab anyway.

Hmm...where is my tin-foil hat?

What the heck will smashing sub-atomic particles together prove??? Am I the only one that is bored as nuts with scientists trying to "prove" where the earth/universe/life came from???

What the heck will smashing sub-atomic particles together prove??? Am I the only one that is bored as nuts with scientists trying to "prove" where the earth/universe/life came from???

Yes you are.

I like hi energy physics and the often interesting things that are learned about it.

Its a fairly important piece of technology qoute from 2 pubs

"The aim of the 4.4 billion-pound (over $7.7 billion) experiment is to recreate the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang - the birth of the universe - and provide vital clues to the building blocks of life.

It will track the spray of particles thrown out by collisions in a search for the elusive Higgs Boson, a theoretical entity that supposedly lends weight, or mass, to the elementary particles. So important is this mysterious substance that it has been called the "God Particle"."

"Prof. Etzion, an experimental physicist in high-energy research, expects the impact of the LHC to be greater than that of the first moon landing. "It is hard to grasp the dimensions of the practical benefits from this project," he says, "but we're expecting to explore the basic forces that hold the world together.""

"The aim of the 4.4 billion-pound (over $7.7 billion) experiment is to recreate the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang - the birth of the universe - and provide vital clues to the building blocks of life.

:lol:

Now that is funny!

It has been done before just never on this scale. For me I find it really interesting and look forward to their results and if we die because the create a black hole it isn't a bad way to go - you probably would realise what was going on...

Not like anyone could use physics to build/design a weapon... :rolleyes:

I remember when finding the "Top Quark" was a big deal....

{Quark - anyone else remember that TV space show from the late 70's?
I listen to Quarks and Quirks every Saturday at noon
here is the show from this past Sat with the collider story
CBC Radio | Quirks Quarks | Quirks and Quarks Podcast

Not like anyone could use physics to build/design a weapon... :rolleyes:

Nice - Thanks for that, since every weapon ever invented has a foundation in physics. I wasn't commenting on other possible uses of this study.

PB - those other cases you mentioned had practical short term applications. What is the practical application of studying what supposedly happened a fraction of a second after the big bang?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back