End Of The World: Caused By An Experiment?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

2. Two photons (or any other like particle, I just use photons for simplicty) are created in a start at the same exact instant going opposite directions. If two photons leave the star (for our purposes, the star is kinda small, size of Jupiter) in opposite directions, are they both not traveling in excess of the speed of light with relation to each other. The question can be asked with two companion stars and crossing particles as well.

Ok its my understanding that they are both traveling at the same speed i.e. the speed of light. Now if one increases its velocity (because we're talking about displacement here. Its a straight line right?) I believe the other does as well meaning both are traveling in excess of the speed of light.

Is anyone going to comment on what good knowing the fraction of a second after the big bang is supposed to bring to humanity? It's a serious question, and nobody has responded.

The fact itself, probably nothing. It's just to cure human's natural curiosity. The main thing about these researches is that there's often spin offs, data that we didn't know before, which brings you to new ideas. They call this fundamental science, no direct practical application, but they'll usually become clear with the data. I this case, I suppose they'll learn a lot about energy, as at the big bang, a lot of energy was converted to mass.

West Europe, 1 PM - Update

No light beams spotted at 9.30, Alps are still in place.

Warning - Traffic in Milano worse than usual, and this is a well known near impossibility.
Investigation is ongoing to determine if this is the black hole first ignition, perhaps the beginning of the ultra-density mass generated by abnormal concentration of vehicles.
Local population attempting to neutralize the phenomenon by repeated use of swearwords.

The fact itself, probably nothing. It's just to cure human's natural curiosity. The main thing about these researches is that there's often spin offs, data that we didn't know before, which brings you to new ideas. They call this fundamental science, no direct practical application, but they'll usually become clear with the data. I this case, I suppose they'll learn a lot about energy, as at the big bang, a lot of energy was converted to mass.

the want to find a particle named bosson higgs, also called "particle of god" !

we are messing with the allmighty ! :lol:

acording scientists, the first colision will happend in next 60 days, start praiyng !

more about the experiment(live webcast):

Live webcast

West Europe, 1 PM - Update

No light beams spotted at 9.30, Alps are still in place.

Warning - Traffic in Milano worse than usual, and this is a well known near impossibility.
Investigation is ongoing to determine if this is the black hole first ignition, perhaps the beginning of the ultra-density mass generated by abnormal concentration of vehicles.
Local population attempting to neutralize the phenomenon by repeated use of swearwords.

Gotta love it! Good one, good chuckle.

A little question on the gravity thing:
If a photon can also act as a wave, how does gravity affect it when it is acting as a wave

Same way. It has mass, that's all the really matters. If it has mass, it is affected by gravity.

My question about the two protons could be looked at as the two of them passing each other (strangers in the night...sorry, it popped into my head). Combine the relative speeds and aren't both of them moving in excess of the speed of light in relation to each other?

Is anyone going to comment on what good knowing the fraction of a second after the big bang is supposed to bring to humanity? It's a serious question, and nobody has responded.

Actually, there are huge ramifications for humanity. Finding the God Particle will also give clues to:

-Missing socks, why are there is always one missing? They are in the black hole created by the God Particle.
-Extra keys on the key chain, what are they there for? God Particle put them there.
-Telemarketers- Not really people on the other end of the line, but random interactions with the phone system by the God Particle.
-Beer Goggles- Interactions with the God Particle and your retina. Fat chicks are still fat.
-Traffic Jams (especially the ones in Milan)- God Particle sucking up space on the road system.
-Crazy Glue- What makes it stick? God Particle.

The ramifications of finding the God Particle are endless.

Actually, there are huge ramifications for humanity. Finding the God Particle will also give clues to:

-Missing socks, why are there is always one missing? They are in the black hole created by the God Particle.
-Extra keys on the key chain, what are they there for? God Particle put them there.
-Telemarketers- Not really people on the other end of the line, but random interactions with the phone system by the God Particle.
-Beer Goggles- Interactions with the God Particle and your retina. Fat chicks are still fat.
-Traffic Jams (especially the ones in Milan)- God Particle sucking up space on the road system.

Sounds like that was taken from the notebook of Lazarus Long.

:lol:

Well, we're all still here. For a bit longer anyway.............

they say now the first colision will just happends in 2009.

its a 27km tunnel, now they want to check is all systems are ok ! will take a while...

very impressive enginering, they want to make 2 protons colide at 99.99% of speed of light, it will generate a lot of elementar particles and they believe it will generates the boson of higgs wich is a particle that was present at big bang.

also they want discover why universe is matter and not anti-matter.

btw, we entered in a new era for mankind. lets do like google and celebrate.

Well, this is the only response I've gotten so far - so I'm going with it.

My question about the two protons could be looked at as the two of them passing each other (strangers in the night...sorry, it popped into my head). Combine the relative speeds and aren't both of them moving in excess of the speed of light in relation to each other?

Hmm... hadn't thought of that. If you count them moving away from each other from a base point. But are we talking about there absolute velocity or there total displacement?

Hmm... hadn't thought of that. If you count them moving away from each other from a base point. But are we talking about there absolute velocity or there total displacement?

I guess I would have to consider their total displacement (relative speeds to each other?). That would be in excess of the speed of light. Further, decaying particles from either one would, if going in the right direction, be going even faster.

What's the difference between absolute velocity and total displacement? How would it affect the idea of the two particles? Just trying to get my head around this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back