Evergreen air museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
this was a kick visiiting the place again this time with my very aging in-laws

some pics and they are rather large

Attachments

• DSCN0954.JPG
    DSCN0954.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN0955.JPG
    DSCN0955.JPG
    582.3 KB · Views: 216
more

Dad remembers the B-29's overhead while on a Tin can on their way to Japan

big frickin Spruce Goose in the background

Attachments

• DSCN0962.JPG
    DSCN0962.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0965.JPG
    DSCN0965.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 204
Dad taking a breather while part of a Betty Bomber sits in front

Flying Tiger Ken Juernstedts mount, interviewed Ken over 20 years ago along with 3 other FT's. Great guys they came to G. Pass and dedicated the Johnny Hampshire memorial airfield just to our north, Johnny was a 10 kill ace over China where he lost his life in combat with Zero's, a local boy.

Attachments

• DSCN0967.JPG
    DSCN0967.JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN0969.JPG
    DSCN0969.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 219
great place for a long day and across the parking lot is the aerospace museum as well all full of interesting tidbits......... more pics coming. interesting baking in the NW sun are several Soviet tanks behind the aviation museum

What beeeeutiful aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And That IS the Spruce Goose??????
But Where is it? The museum.

Yes, that is THE Spruce Goose. The museum (and it's fantastic!) is in McMinville, Oregon, a beautiful town roughly halfway between the Pacific coast and Portland.

Would definitely like to visit that place, specifically to see the Hughes. Thanks for sharing.

As it happens, a close buddy of mine was called in to help dismantle the flying boat for it last move from Long Beach to McMinnvile. He was one of many, a small army of A&P's. As the top rudder section (over 18 ft tall) was being removed by crane, the section collapsed under its own weight, with fabric, wooden I beams,and ordinary 1/4 in plywood crashing to the floor.Seems it was shoddily repaired back in the 50's after a flood tide rapidly raised the ship into the overhead structure built around the floating giant. Only the rudder top section was damaged. It was cosmetically repaired at that time, with non-aircraft grade plywood, patched fabric, and painted to match. It would appear all those rumors about how Howard supposedly kept the beast in continuous, perfect, ready to fly at a moment's notice condition, for all those years, weren't quite true. In any event, the shattered rudder parts were put on a truck and taken to my friend's shop in Exeter, California, where he did a thourough and rapid restoration, recover, and paint. The rudder portion was trucked back to Long Beach in time for the long barge ride North, with the rest of the parts. Since the whole operation was a rather quite and quick operation, I chanced upon my tired friend , at his shop only a few days after his part in the whole affair. On the floor, were two large piles of fabric and wood bits. These had been segregated by thier obvious historical relevence: "repair " and "original. My buddy bade me to take my choice from either pile. I mananged two pieces of fabric about 2' square, and a few shattered sticks of silver painted 1" I beam wood sections. Of course,from the "original pile"! I still have some of THE SPRUCE GOOSE, out in my garage, right now. Kinda like my own personal museum!

Gelbe 5 in the markings of ace Alfred Ambs the last 262 he flew before he was shot down in action and wounded

Attachments

• DSCN0979.JPG
    DSCN0979.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN0986.JPG
    DSCN0986.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back