F-5A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
A couple of years ago I was given an F-5A Testors model. The bad news was that is was in a box for a P-47. I have manage to figure out where all the parts go but the decals are for the P-47. I am using the model as pratice for my first airbrush. Any suggestions for the cammo? I was thinking a NATO pattern but I do not think that it was used by NATO. Does anyone have a picture of a F-5A in NATO markings?

DBII

I like it, this may be perfect. I am color blind. Do you know what colors were used? Is it 3 color or two? I wanted something worn so I could weather the plane. I went to my Basic Officer Course with a man from Botswana.

DBII

The plane comes with 2 ASM, 2 AAM and two bombs so I was leaning toward a CAS bird. I am not picky on this one. I want to pratice with the airbrush before I started my Russian B-25J so color may be better.

DBII

This is colourful from 419 sqn "beware of the moose" call sign Rut I'm looking for 434,433 special

Attachments

• 419f5.jpg
    419f5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 176
That is sharp. I like it but I could not draw the moose. There is also one on the link I posted for the Netherland AF in two tone red, white and blue. I was thinking about that also. I have never liked paiting with gloss white or red. It never looks right. It is a great shot. Thanks

DBII

I like it, this may be perfect. I am color blind. Do you know what colors were used? Is it 3 color or two? I wanted something worn so I could weather the plane. I went to my Basic Officer Course with a man from Botswana.

DBII
2 colors - same as the Canadian Armed Forces. - The F-5 i saw were pretty weathered - more dirty. Their camouflage was a flat color so any dirt really showed up - BUT they did clean them regularly so most of the real dirt was removed. I did see one come back from a training sortie - it was real dirty - dropped bombs and shot its guns.

Thanks Wurger, I am glad you are back. I like #1. I also like #3 and #5. To many to choose from. #1 is the only A model in the package. D**, I am going to have to buy another one. :lol: I wanted to use the F5 to practice with the airbrush. Now I want it to look good. I see way people have so many models waiting to be built. lets see, after the F-5 I can finish my B25J and B25H. Then I will have pick up a F5 so I can make #1. :)

DBII

Lets see if I have this correct, first use a light color as a primer, then shadow the pannel lines with thinned out black paint. Next apply the base coat followed by the darker cammo colors. Seal the paint with Future and apply the decals and weathering. Since the panel lines are raised, I can either dry brush them or use a Sharpie. Final step is to cover the plane with a coat of clear flat? So I can knock this out in a couple of hours right? :lol:

I think I will go with the Botswana AF since I am a cheap b***** that cannot afford the order decals right now. I can paint an inverted triangle.

DBII

Generally, that should be like you have written.Here is an example of pre-shading.
Source unknown.

Attachments

• Fw190 preshading.jpg
    Fw190 preshading.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 162
With my luck, I will end up painting, myself, the house and the neighbor's cat.
:lol:. This is practice so I do not mess up the Russian B-25J. I'm glad you are doing better.

DBII

THX DBII.
As far as the neighbor's cat is concerned simply don't wave your hand widely. :lol:

Ok, I finaly had some time to assemble the plane and fill the gaps that were large. I really dislike putty. I even sanded the seams and tried to make everything smooth. I grabbed a large box to spray in. I set aside Sunday afternoon to paint. I hung the plane inside the box to spray the primer and nothing comes out but air :confused: What is wrong?

As for the plane, I found a photo of a F5A that I can paint and not have to worry about the purchasing decals. The colors may be a little off but since this is for practice and I do not want to spent any money on it. I am looking forward fo finishing up so I can paint the B-25.

DBII

Catch 22, my first thought was the paint was to thick. The instructions said to use 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner. I thought that that was to much paint and went with a ratio of 50/50. Should I thin it out even more? Wurger, since I will be painting the plane a low visibility grey over lighter grey, I was going to use a flat white as a primer. I also have a gloss white that I can use.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back