F4U Modelling Guide

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F4U-1 (Corsair Mk I) UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Chance-Vought F4U-1 was the first of 6 numbered production versions of the F4U Corsair. Despite there being F4U-1s through F4U-7s, the F4U-3 never entered production, and there were really 4 major versions of the F4U-1; the original F4U-1, the -1A, the -1C and the -1D. This portion of the guide will deal ONLY with the F4U-1, and F4U-2, as they are basically identical, and not the -1A through -1D.

Visual Characteristics

The main visual characteristics of the F4U-1 were, of course the "birdcage" style canopy with the cutout windows, the lack of wing spoiler on the leading edge of the right wing. One other difference, that is easily missed, is that the tail wheel mount on the -1 is actually shorter than that of the -1A and onward.
There were 2 styles of "birdcage" canopy on the F4U-1; the early style had a completely flat top, while the later style had a bulge directly above the seat, so the pilot could raise his seat higher to help visibility.

F4U-1Canopies.png

Early and late canopies.(Corsair in Action)

Painting

Early F4U-1s had the then standard Blue Gray upper surfaces, as well as the bottoms of the wings outboard of the fold, and very light gray lower surfaces (mix gull gray and white for modeling purposes). They also had the 2nd incarnation of the US Star roundel, without the red dot or bars, though in the field bars were added to some planes. Later F4U-1s had the now famous three-toned scheme, with the upper surfaces in Dark Sea Blue, middle section and lower wing surfaces in Medium Blue and the lower surfaces in White. Some of these still had the "sans bars" roundel, but partway into production the new roundel with bars and red surround were starting to be applied. British Corsair Mk Is were painted Dark Sea Gray and Dark Slate Gray on the upper surfaces, and Sky on the lower surfaces.

Picture8.png

Picture9.png

Picture10.png

Picture11.png

Picture12.png

Picture13.png

This F4U-1 has the early scheme with the stars and bars. You can see that the red surround has been painted over.

Picture14.png

Picture15.png

Picture16.png

This F4U-1 has the late style paint scheme and stars and bars, and has the red surround painted out.

All above profiles from Aircraft illustration

F4U-144.png

A rare scheme: A refurbished F4U-1 in Jacksonville in OTU-4, in 1945 (Corsair in Action)

F4U-2

Visual Characteristics

The F4U-2 was the first and only WWII night-fighter Corsair to see service. These were basically F4U-1s, but had a radome on the starboard wing, longer exhaust ports to cover the flash, and one less gun (the outboard .50) in the right wing to equalize weight. The gun port for that particular gun was simply faired over.

F4U-2wings.png

F4U-2exhausts.png

F4U-2.png

You can clearly see the extended exhaust stacks in this photo. All above photos from Corsair in Action.

Painting

The F4U-2 followed the same standard painting conventions as the F4U-1, with some being the 2-tone scheme, and others being the 3-tone scheme. Some of the 3-tone schemed F4U-2s had the medium blue painted over with Black or Dark Sea Blue. The tip of the radome was also painted white.

Thanks Heinz!

Can mods re-arrange posts, or can they just delete them? The reason I ask is because once I'm done, it would be best for the actual posts to be up top.

Maybe we should think over a kind of album for which everyone could prepare one or two pages with technical data,some B&W pics,profiles...etc.Of course the layout of pages should be the same for all ones.Then Micdrow could put them together as a Pdf file.Also there should be a possibility to add the next pages.What do you think?

That could work, but I was planning on having like 7 or 8 posts of this size, and I was just doing a visual type guide. I'm useless when it comes to technical data and the like, as I don't know where to begin. I know top speed and the like, but that's about it. We could make this a forum-wide thing though, and have some members tackle the technical data, while other can do the visual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back