Famous Military Speeches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert E lees farewell speech to the Army Of Virginia

Headquarters Army of Northern Virginia
Appomattox Courthuse, April 10, 1865

(General Orders No. 9)

After four years' arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the survivors of so many hard fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them, but feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss which would have attended the continuation of the contest, I have determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed, and I earnestly pray that a merciful God may extend to you His blessing and protection. With an increasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself, I bid you an affectionate farewell.

Robert E. Lee
General

Shows the depth of character of the man and his integrity in my opinion. Americas greatest general who just happened to be on the losing side

Robert Nesta Marley; War:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHEPoMNP0I

Excerpt from the speech from which this song originated; H.I.M Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia speaking at the United Nations on 4 October 1963:

"...until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned; That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained;

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled and destroyed; Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil..."

Oh, yessss; sssswwwffffffftttttt..... Haaaaaaaah......

Actually, come to think of it, that was a predictable and rather dumb post I added. Like you Pars; I too, like Bob Marley's music; I was bought up on a healthy dose of reggae and heavy rock in equal measure. My older brother fancied himself as a Rastafarian and grew dreads and smoked pot and all that; I just loved the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back