Famous Military Speeches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"The Lord God is my Armour!"
- Gustavus Adolphus, refusing the steel body armour offered by his aides.
At the Battle of Lützen (where he was killed), 16. September 1632.
The reason he didn't want to wear armour is that he had been wounded in Dirschau, Poland,
and couldn't wear armour because of that wound.
He refused to stay in camp despite that he couldn't wear armour.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

"My only fear is that the Zulu will not fight"
- Lieutenant-General Lord Chelmsford,
commanding British forces, just before the invasion of Zululand.

"This is not the end, nor is it even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning"
Winston Churchill (after the victory at El Alamein)

"Gentlemen, we are being killed on the beaches. Lets go inland and be killed."
- General Norman Cota: Omaha Beach, 1944

"We are going to find a solution to the Middle East conflict as soon as the Arabs agrees with us.."
- Moshe Dayan, Israeli Minister of Defense during the Six Say War (1967)

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking. Attaquez!"
- General Ferdinand Foch (to General Joffre during Battle of the Marne)
From Liddel-Harts book "Reputations"

"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pus*y."
- Attributed to General Tommy Franks
Also Attributed to US Marine Major General James Mattis as he addressed
the Marines of 1st Marine Division prior to commencement of
combat operations in support of Iraqi Freedom.

"The Ruhr will not be a subject to a single bomb. If an enemy bomber reaches the Ruhr,
my name is not Herman Goering; you can call me Meier!"
- Reichsmarshal Herman Goering, 9 august 1939.

"The day of parachute troops is over"
- Adolf Hitler, after the heavy losses suffered by the airborne units on Crete in 1941

"The atom bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives."
- Admiral William Leahy to President Truman
before the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

"This is the epitaph I want on my tomb: "Here lies one of the most intelligent animals who ever appeared on the face of the earth."
- Benito Mussolini

"You're planning to make a ship sail against wind and tide by lighting a fire below deck?? I don't have time to listen to that kind of nonsense!"
- Napoleon, about Robert Fultons plans to make a Steamboat.

"My fellow Americans. I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
President Reagan, before a scheduled radio broadcast,
unaware that the microphone was already on

"The Pope! how many divisions has he got?"
- Stalin
In 1935, a French visitor asked Soviet leader Josef Stalin if he thought Pope Pius XI might prove to be an ally.

"Tell my son Josef that he will meet my divisions in eternity."
- Reply from the Pope when he heard the story years later.

"It take 15,000 casualties to train a major general.
- Ferdinand Foch

It takes a brave man to be a coward in the Red Army
- Joseph Stalin

"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there."
- Marshall Geogi Zhukov to General Eisenhower, 1945

Funny Quotes. Funny Military Quotes

After the failure of Market-Garden (but General Montgomery claims as a success)...

"My country can never again afford the luxury of another Montgomery success." Prince Bernhard of Netherlands.

I'd have to drag out some books to get the exact wording/dates/times/etc, but a couple I've loved from Patton:

(to a group of Army wives at a social get-together) "My, what pretty widows you will make!"

"Its 4:15! What's holding you guys up?" (Patton, over the radio to a German division after learning, through broken codes, of an impending offensive scheduled to begin at 4PM sharp. The Germans subsequently realized the Allies were ready and cancelled the attack....and changed their codes.)

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Pearl Harbor Address to the Nation

Delivered on December 8, 1941

Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

And this morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.

TO

"I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
- Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

and this from Lt. Col Tim Collins before the invasion of Iraq

We go to liberate, not to conquer.
We will not fly our flags in their country
We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown in that ancient land is their own.
Show respect for them.
There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.
Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.
As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.
Wipe them out if that is what they choose.
But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory.
Iraq is steeped in history.
It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham.
Tread lightly there.
You will see things that no man could pay to see
-- and you will have to go a long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.
You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.
Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country.
Their children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of liberation in their lives was brought by you.
If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.
Allow them dignity in death.
Bury them properly and mark their graves.
It is my foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive.
But there may be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.
We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back.
There will be no time for sorrow.
The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction.
There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.
He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done.
As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.
It is a big step to take another human life.
It is not to be done lightly.
I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.
I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them. If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.
The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.
If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.
You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest -- for your deeds will follow you down through history.
We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.
(On Saddam's chemical and biological weapons.)
It is not a question of if, it's a question of when.
We know he has already devolved the decision to lower commanders, and that means he has already taken the decision himself.
If we survive the first strike we will survive the attack.
As for ourselves, let's bring everyone home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there.
Our business now is north.

Thanks for sharing that Rochie. It is a great speech that reflects the fighting spirit and character of our modern day warriors.

This is one of my all time favorite movie military speech. It could be characterized also as an monolog or conversation between Brigadier General Armistead (played by Richard Jordan) and Col. Fremantle during preliminary artillery bombardment before commencing Picket's charge at Gettysburg.

Anyway here's the link (hope it works):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Xu_Jni4V4

Hi, this is the translation to De Gaulle's June 18th call, considered the corner step of the French resistance.

It took place just after France's capitulation. The guy speaking is just an unknown general, just owning at this time the desk he is working on, and Churchill's friendship.
On June 18th 1940, De Gaulle looks like a loser

'Governments of gathering may have capitulated, giving in to the panic, forgetting honour, handing over the country to servitude.
However, nothing is lost.
Nothing is lost, because this war is a world war.
In the free universe, tremendous forces have not been yet involved.
One day, these forces will crush the enemy. This day, the France will have to be present at the victory.
Then, she'll find her liberty and its greatness. Such is my goal, my only one.

That's why I invite all the French, wherever they are, to unite to me in the action, sacrifice and hope.

Our country is in danger of death. Let's fight to save her.'

Viking speech.

Cattle die, kinsmen die, all men are mortal, words of praise will never perish nor a noble name.

Another version, said to have been used outside York;

Cattle die, women die, men die. You cannot choose if you die but you can choose how you die.

Or the last word recorded of King Harold Godwinson's Huskarls at the end of the Battle of Hastings;

"Ut! Ut! Godemite! Olicrosse! (Out! Out! God Almighty! Holy Cross!)"

Last edited:
One needs to be VERY careful about "Speeches" reported AFTER the fact during a time when recording devices were not present/available/invented. One of the first and best examples is earlier in this thread when a "Speech" by Patrick Henry is presented. To avoid interference from Lieutenant-Governor Dunmore and his Royal Marines, the Second Virginia Convention met March 20, 1775 inland at Richmond--in what is now called St. John's Church--instead of the Capitol in Williamsburg. Delegate Patrick Henry presented resolutions to raise a militia, and to put Virginia in a posture of defense. Henry's opponents urged caution and patience until the crown replied to Congress' latest petition for reconciliation.
On the 23rd, Henry presented a proposal to organize a volunteer company of cavalry or infantry in every Virginia county. By custom, Henry addressed himself to the Convention's president, Peyton Randolph of Williamsburg. Henry's words were not transcribed, but all were in agreement about Henry's closing words: "Give me liberty, or give me death!"
Henry's first biographer, William Wirt of Maryland, was three-years-old in 1775. An assistant federal prosecutor in Aaron Burr's trial for treason at Richmond in 1807, and later attorney general of the United States, Wirt began to collect materials for the biography in 1808, nine years after Henry's death. From the recollections of men like Thomas Jefferson, Wirt reconstructed an account of Henry's life including several of his speeches.
Ear-witnesses to Henry's hypnotic orations remarked that while they always seemed to be convincing in the moment, they had a difficult time remembering exactly what he had said immediately afterwards. According to Thomas Jefferson, "Although it was difficult, when [Henry] had spoken, to tell what he had said, yet, while speaking, it always seemed directly to the point. When he had spoken in opposition to my opinion, had produced a great effect, and I myself had been highly delighted and moved, I have asked myself, when he ceased, 'What the devil has he said?' and could never answer the inquiry." There has been much debate as to whether Henry's speeches are more Wirt than Henry.

Last edited:
Shakespeare penned this work nearly two hundred years after the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.
Prior to the Battle, Henry V had led his English footmen across Northwestern France, seizing Calais and other cities in an attempt to win back holds in France that had once been in English possession and to claim the French crown through the obscure but powerful Salig Law.
The French, aware of Henry's troops weakening condition because of their distance from England and the attacks of dysentery that had plagued the dwindling band, moved between King Henry and Calais, the port he needed to reach in order to return to England. The troops followed Henry's band along the rivers, preventing their crossing and daring them to a battle they thought they could not win.
The English knights fought on foot after the manner devised by Edward III. Archers were to be used in support, the English and Welsh longbows having established their credentials both at Crecy (1347) and at Poiters (1356). But here the French seemed to have sufficient numbers to deal with even this threat, and they refused to allow Henry pass, angered by the English seizure of the cities.
Morale in the English line as they looked upon the overwhelming force of heavily armored, highly skilled French knights must have been extremely low. King Henry, rising to the occasion, spoke words of encouragement that rallied the English troops and carried them to a victory.
Army Special Forces have been drawn to the end of the speech:
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Two that I am fond of and likely where never actually said was the one about horses credited to Spartans at his last battle and the speech by Calgacus before the battle of Grapius Mons against the Romans. I'll see if I can find them and post them here later. They were probably so good because they were crafted after the fact.

I like Winston's response to Hitler saying he would wring England's neck like a chicken. Churchill stood up in the Canadian gov't hall and said, "Some chicken....." Pause for cheers..."Some neck!"

Pattons address to 3rd Army. There is quite a bit to it, but the most famous rendition (there are mnany versions of the same basic speech was his address to 6th armoured, on 31 May'44

Patton delivered the speech extemporaneously, without notes of his own, and so though it was substantially the same at each occurrence, the order of some of its parts varied. One notable difference occurred in the speech he delivered on 31 May 1944, while addressing the U.S. 6th Armored Division, when he began with a remark that would later be among his most famous

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Most 'fictional' historical speeches are based on something that actually happened. This one probably is not!

As the Spanish Armada sailed up the Channel in 1588 Elizabeth I supposedly addressed her militia thus.

"My loving people, we have been persuaded by some, that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit ourselves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery; but I assure you, I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people. Let tyrants fear; I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good will of my subjects. And therefore I am come amongst you at this time, not as for my recreation or sport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live or die amongst you all; to lay down, for my God, and for my kingdom, and for my people, my honour and my blood, even the dust. I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart of a king, and of a king of England, too; and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realms: to which, rather than any dishonour should grow by me, I myself will take up arms; I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field. I know already, by your forwardness, that you have deserved rewards and crowns; and we do assure you, on the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you. In the mean my Lieutenant General shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble and worthy subject; not doubting by your obedience to my General, by your concord in the camp, and by your valour in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over the enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people."

Hitler made some fantastic speeches too. This is one of my favourites from 8th November 1942, about Stalingrad.

"I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don't think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already.
There are only some very small places remaining. Now the others say: 'Why aren't they fighting faster?' – Because I don't want to have a second Verdun there, I'd rather take it with small assault groups."

Yeah right!!!

Cheers

Steve

Well, not exactly a military speech but by the Greek Heraclitus:
Out of every one hundred men
That you send to us
Ten shouldn't even be here
Eighty are just targets
Nine are the real fighters
And we are lucky to have them
For they the battle make.
Ah, but the one,
One is a warrior
And he will bring the others back.

― Heraclitus

It is necessary to understand that war is common, strife is customary, and all things happen and pass away because of strife and necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back