Fiat G.55 conversion to G.59

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everybody,
I started painting the model with silver colour and I have a problem so I was wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I said "painting silver colour" because the original bird wasn't natural metal but painted in silver.

I'm painting with Aqueous Hobby Color H8 (Silver) diluted with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, as I did with my most recent models, but this time the output is a very grainy.
I know I can remedy by sanding with very tiny sanding tissue (I did it already, using grade 3600, then 6000 and finally 12000) but I'm concerned by the next coat I will have to apply to get, I think, a nice finish.
So, could someone please help me?
What am I doing wrong? Paint not thinned enough, maybe?
Many thanks in adavance
Alberto

Not sure Alberto, as I only use enamels normally. However, all metallic paints can suffer from partial separation of the metallizers in the pigment when thinned, or if a clear coat is added over the top, which is not really noticeable in general 1:1 use, but looks more apparent in smaller scales.
For a 'painted silver' finish, I normally add just a touch of white, which takes away the metal shine, but also prevents the break-up of the metal pigments. You could try this, but test it on some scrap first, and adjust the mix as required.
But, it might be that, as your paint is 'Aqueous' acrylic, thinning with water might be better - the thinner used might be causing the separation.

Many thanks Terry.
I tried following your suggestion: paint diluted with water (a bit more then my usual) and it worked out very well, pictures tomorrow.
Alberto

Hello,
here following some pictures of the model with silver painting and black on the anti-glare panel.

DSCN2343.JPG
DSCN2344.JPG
DSCN2345.JPG
DSCN2347.JPG
DSCN2348.JPG
DSCN2349.JPG
DSCN2350.JPG

Silver paint still looks a bit grainy but I still have to polish it.

Next step will be the anti-skid rubber panels on wings, propeller and landing gear: so some intensive work waiting for me.

Alberto

Looks good Alberto, and the grainy appearance should smooth out when it's rubbed with a soft cloth.
One thing though, it looks like the black anti-glare panel was perhaps painted over the silver, which has caused the metallic particles underneath to show through. It's better to paint 'solid' colours first, then mask and paint the metallic colours, in order to avoid this reaction.

Hello Terry,
the black anti-glare panel was painted before the silver but, as it was a bit grainy as well I had to rub it as well with fine mesh sanding cloth so some white particles are showing through. I painted a new coat of black today and it looks much better. pictures tomorrow.
I'm now working to produce masks to paint the ant-slip rubber coat on wings, as seen in this manual page:

anti skid.jpg

Cheers
Alberto

I'm almost done with masks to be used for the anti-skid panels but in main time I did the propeller, some modification on the anti-glare panel and took my decision on the bird I will try to replicate, that' this one:
G 59 FT28 bis.jpg

This was one of the few really operational machine and belonged to 56th TAF based in Vicenza.

Also, before start masking again, I took a couple of pictures at the modified model
DSCN2362.JPG
DSCN2363.JPG
DSCN2365.JPG
DSCN2366.JPG

Cheers
Alberto

Almost ready to go with decals:

DSCN2367.JPG
DSCN2368.JPG
DSCN2369.JPG
DSCN2370.JPG
DSCN2371.JPG

White dots on black surfaces are dust particles, fortunately ...:)
In facts, after I took the pictures, I sprayed a first coat of Future; one more tomorrow.
Cheers
Alberto

Looking good Al, what silver color did you use? Have you ever used citadel metallic colors (mithril silver, chainmail...) You should try them!!!!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back