Fiat G.55 conversion to G.59 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to all for your nice comment.
Just got done same small additional decals going on landing gear covers and on propeller.
About the latter, I did some text about propeller pitch and the little eagle logo, but this one will non be put in place because it seems not applicable to my model.
Pictures to follow a.s.a.p.
Alberto

So, as you may have seen on the above pictures, the job was almost done, almost ...
Last Saturday I sprayed everything with Vallejo satin varnish because, as stated above, this birds weren't shining because they painted aluminium, not natural metal.
Then I was stupid enough to wait only aprox six hours before starting some panel detailing work.
I started from wings, so I was holding the model with my hands and, :(, I found that my fingers were leaving very heavy finger prints on the fuselage!
Not just something you could clean with some sanding cloth, but real hills and valleys ...
:oops::oops::oops:
Conclusion: I had to sand-off paint (and decals) from the fuselage and start again from zero.
A question for experts: the issue was because I didn't waited enough or because Vallejo satin varnish (spray can) doesn't bond on Gunze acrylic silver?
Alberto

Can't say for sure Alberto on the paints used possible you should have left it longer.... but if you hold your model in your fingers for a long period of time in the same spot you will generate some heat effect between your fingers and the paint surface and get those embedded finger prints, I think it is more to do with the 'clear' finish than the paint.

Done this before myself.....i am always changing my finger positions constantly once clear coats are applied to avoid the 'finger print effect'

I think Wayne is right - clear coats seem more susceptible to damage until fully hardened, and I find even more so over a metallic finish. This is possibly due to the metallic particles 'settling', for want of a better description.
If handling a model for some time, I try to use a piece of tissue, or soft cloth. in fact, I keep intending to get some soft, white cotton gloves, as used in photo labs.

In reality I'm almost sure that I did at least two mistakes:
1) Not gave enough time to the clear varnish to perfectly dry
2) Vallejo and Aqueos Hobby Colors are both acrylics but they are different in chemical composition and, probably, they should not be combined.

Any way, it's my very good habit to do an high resolution scan of decals supplied with kits, so I can replicate them if needed, like in this case.
So I have new text decals while for Italian roundels I had them in my stock.
Kit has got new paint on fuselage and a clear coat, this time I used Aqueos Hobby Colors, of course and tomorrow I will restart with decals.
Hope to be able to take some pictures and post them.
Alberto

Waiting 48 hours is my rule, broken it a couple of times and regreted it every time. Sometimes another coat of top finish will level it out. I would try that before sanding everything off, after all, you got nothing to lose by trying that.

I agree. If using an acrylic clear coat, I leave it at least 24 hours, and if enamel or polyurethane clear coat, at least 48 hours, to ensure it's fully hardened.

... Sometimes another coat of top finish will level it out. I would try that before sanding everything off, after all, you got nothing to lose by trying that.
I should have taken a couple of pictures but I didn't, unfortunately.
Finger prints were so heavy that I had really to sand down to plastic. Not only, the pressure and movement of my thumb dragged one fuselage roundel so it resulted partially distorted: not round any more.
A good lesson for me to learn!
Any way, many thanks for your comment.
Alberto
Alberto

Hi,
finally sorted out all my painting issues, this model is finally finished!
See pictures, if you wish, in the relevant session.
Cheers
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back