Finland, December 30, 1939 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello RabidAlien
I know lot of good book on Winter War, but they are all in Finnish. I remeber leafing over a Ballantine book on Winter war around 1970, but cannot say anything other on it that usually Ballantine/Purnell softbacks were good
There seems to be this one

The Winter War: The Russo-Finnish War of 1939-40: Amazon.co.uk: William R. Trotter: Books

and this one

The Winter War: Russia's Invasion of Finland, 1939-1940: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Edwards: Books

I might just have one of them, anyone know if one or the other is the definitive work on the subject?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know lot of good book on Winter War, but they are all in Finnish. I remeber leafing over a Ballantine book on Winter war around 1970, but cannot say anything other on it that usually Ballantine/Purnell softbacks were good
There seems to be this one

The Winter War: The Russo-Finnish War of 1939-40: Amazon.co.uk: William R. Trotter: Books

and this one

The Winter War: Russia's Invasion of Finland, 1939-1940: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Edwards: Books

plus plenty more advertised in the bar along the bottom; I might just have one of them, anyone know which might be the definitive work on the subject?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just started reading "Fighter Over Finland" by Luukannen (sp?) last night but even just 20 or so pages in it looks like it'll be a good read. the author stated in the foreward that the Winter War had more intensity; national pride, emotional weight for him than the latter conflicts of 1944.
Even just the small portion i have read, it is interesting to see how he characterizes the Bulldog and the Fokker DXXI they are trained on. He describes intense training and speaks of all the positive aspects of each plane rather than its failings. It is still early in the authors memoirs; but i wonder if this may explain how the Finns manage to do so well with the Brewster B239.
Regards,
Derek

I just started reading "Fighter Over Finland" by Luukannen (sp?) last night but even just 20 or so pages in it looks like it'll be a good read. the author stated in the foreward that the Winter War had more intensity; national pride, emotional weight for him than the latter conflicts of 1944.

Hi Derek.
Luukkanen's book is definitely a good read. Also the Juutilainen's "Double Fighter Knight".
IMO the Finnish Winter War was not of national pride, it's was a fight of sheer survival.
It is speculated that the Katyn massacre was done to free more more room for the Finnish officers, caught after the anticipated occupation of Finland.
Katyn massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Timppa, I just went back and looked at the foreword of Luukkanen's book again and you are spot on. I read it too quickly last night and made a rash assumption. Looking forward to reading more of it tonight and thanks for the recommendation of another book. :)
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back