Fire Trucks!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They had a truck and tractor show in Glade Springs today so after work I went up and got a few shots. This was parked with the bucket up.:D
IMG_8119 resized 25 legal.jpg

I came across a rare ladder truck last weekend during a short trip.

This Seagrave was parked near the old McCloud train depot and Jessica had to drag me away from it (especially when I wondered out loud if it was for sale...) :lol:

From what I can tell, it's a 1954 with the flathead V-12 engine. The covered cab wasn't too common with Seagraves, as they tended to have open cabs with a "shaved" windscreen.

IMGP2618[1024x681].jpg

Last edited:
Ok Dave, I did get a couple of fire trucks at the Tazewell show this year. They aren't as interesting as your last one but they are fire engines none the less.:lol:
IMG_9949 resized 25 legal.jpg

IMG_9950 resized 25 legal.jpg

I noticed there was about five or six different paint jobs for the Fire Engines you posted. I was wondering whether the colour of the Fire Engine meant anything.

Like Red is Professional City, Yellow is Volunteer City, White is Rural, Green is Forestry.
I don't think there is such a system in Australia although I have seen a yellow fire-engine or two around. Not sure whether that is a gradual change for visibility...

Good question, and it's a complicated answer...

On the Federal level, U.S. Forest Service is "Federal Safety Green" but, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is "Lime Green" which is that bright yellow-green you see. And then National Park Service (NPS) uses plain White.

On the State level, it's whatever the individual state determines and in this case, California Department of Forestry (was CDF now CalFire) uses "Federal Safety Red" as a standard on thier engines and heavy aparatus but that is supposed to change soon, to an overall white with a red reflective stripe running the length of the vehicle.

Individual Counties in California also also have thier own choice and in the case of Shasta County, thier vehicles are red overall.

And for City Fire Departments in this state, it's also thier choice and that's where you'll see a real diversity, Redding has all red, Red Bluff having all white with a blue reflective stripe along thier centerline while the City of Anderson has all "Lime-Green" vehicles, etc.

Regardless of paint color reflective color, all departments nationwide have to follow specific color shades dictated by the Federal NFPA guidelines.

Dave, could there be different colors denoting different fire houses in the same city?
Not that I have ever seen, but that might be possible in other areas/regions.

Usually a city (or local government) decides on a uniform code, and all departments under thier jurisdiction have to stick with it...

By the way, when I mentioned Redding fire in my last post, I failed to mention that all thier vehicles have white roofs against the overall red, but City of Shasta Lake and Mountaingate Fire departments are all solid red...

Wow, it indeed sounds complicated. I think we mostly have red fire-engines over here. White mostly is ambulances or police cars over here. Although some of the highway patrol hi-visibility police cars that are coming into service have about five different shades of colour that I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back