Fires in California

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like a tough day for the firefighters. At 10 AM, it was already above 90F with 5% humidity and 25 MPH winds. It's now at 9700 acres with 20% containment. What is worrisome right now:
The following infrastructures are threatened: Total of five 220KV power lines that supply large areas of Ventura and Santa Barbara. Two of the 220 KV lines are imminently threatened according to Southern California Edison. * 36'' above ground natural gas line. * Oil production fields with associated storage facilities.

Eric what is the web-site covering this latest thing ? national fire agency does not mention except to throw together with the station fire and sated as 94 % contained, the silver fire in your area was contained at some 300 plus acres..............what's up ?

Crickey, still trawling through the threads and I find this one. You take care of your family out there bro and keep us posted when you can, but above all, stay safe.

Stay safe Eric.
That was a cool shot of the DC-10.

The fire in Norco burned close to me yesterday.
Nothing close right now, I think it's out.
I got to watch the airdrops up close.
I haven't seen anything fly so low over my house.
Not even cessnas and these were the twin engine planes.

The houses in this video are closer to the fire than I am.
I didn't take it I found it on youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHI7UGJ9aUM

Wheels

Stay safe there Eric!

I remember when I used to live out in Palmdale me and my room mate just got off work. We were on our way home and noticed a fire burning in the mountains right next to the 14. We got on our motorcycles and headed over there. If you live out there you know about the scoccar fields next to the 14 right out of palmdale. They were using them as landing pads for the helicopters. The helicopters would come in, land, hook up to a fire hydrant, load up and take off again. I got a chance to talk to one of the ground crew and they told me that the pilot of one of the "firehawks" was a ex-chopper pilot in Vietnam. You could always tell him from any of the other pilots cause he would land like he was landing in the LZ in Vietnam. Very impressive to get to witness it from being on the soccar fields.

Looking a bit better near us this morning, but the northeastern section of the fire had a flareup this morning. There was a big flareup last night as I was on my way home near us. I saw a big black plume rising as I came down the freeway. Looks like they did a great job knocking it down, though. Power lines are still threatened, but they are doing a bang-up job on this one. It only grew about 300 acres last night and they weather is supposed to start cooling off a bit.

We're at 16,400 acres now with 40% containment. They are on course to get full containment by Saturday. All good news so far.

Here was yesterday's welcome home. I was about 3-4 miles from home. The fire was about that distance away from me at that time. I live west of the flareup

Attachments

• 9-23-2009.jpg
    9-23-2009.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back